one ; peralta

The elevator doors opened, and there he was. The new captain - the last person any of us suspected. Why he was the new captain - no one knew. All I knew at this moment was that everything was changing, and Amy and I had kissed - and not as Johnny and Dora. And the fact that her hand was tightly wound around mine.

I looked around. Everyone was shell-shocked - we all knew him, but only her and I knew the truth.

She let go of my hand and our gazes met. She was hurt - something I hardly ever saw.

"I'm sorry, Jake." she whispered, before running into the empty elevator. I glared at the captain for a second, before running to get into the elevator. Of course, because my luck is awful, I missed it. I went for the stairs, a very James Bond move on my part, I must say.

Dismissing how utterly awesome I must have looked at that moment, I sped up, trying to catch up with my partner.

I was almost there. I saw her small frame leaving the building as I looked over the railing.

I knew I'd catch her at her car, so I caught my breath for a second. All of a sudden, I heard her scream. Ignoring the stitch from my recently healed ribs, I allowed the adrenaline to take over and I sprinted outside.

"Amy! Amy? AMY! Where are you"

A dark van with no plates skidded away from the kerb, and I pursued, on foot, for twenty blocks, until I collapsed.

She was gone. And I was here. In the dark, her words coursing through my brain, my lips still burning from over an hour ago. She was gone, and I was pathetic.

Despite that, I walked back to the 99 as fast as I could. The faster I walked the sooner I could get her back.

As I walked in, there were various choruses of "Jakey!" and "JAKE!" and "Hey Jake, where's Santiago?"

"Gone. She's gone, okay? Now let's find her." I snapped.

"Santiago's gone?" Terry asked.

"Yes, Terence, I think that's been clarified. Now instead of standing there like an idiot why don't you help solve the case?" I growl.

"No, Sargent, nobody will be investigating her disappearance. All of you knew her, and so this is a personally connected case, and that is against department regulations. I will talk to the 82 and they will work on it. I trust them more than you bunch of fools. Detective Peralta, my office." the Captain said.

"Sir, this isn't fair. I need to find her, I was the last to see her. And you are why she left alone and was kidnapped. Please, if you're going to give the case to the 82 just let me work with them." I begged.

"You'll be working with them, Peralta, because you're the prime suspect." He smirked.

"Son of a bitch." I muttered, slamming the door behind me and storming out.