Courting Kate: The Three Words

“Meant to be together

Meant for no one but each other

You love me, I love you harder so

Everything you say, every time we kiss

I can't think straight but I'm okay

And I can't think of anybody else

Who I hate to miss as much as I hate missing you.” –6 Months, Hey Monday

7

♥♥♥

Kate was not enjoying herself. She should be though because who wouldn’t be thrilled to brushing shoulders with the richest people in Los Angeles?

“Me,” Kate muttered under her breath. She didn’t want to go to this stupid party anyway, she thought to herself. If not for Gwynn—who was obviously enjoying herself from the she was dancing with her new boyfriend, Paul—she wouldn’t have come. She was really planning on soaking in her tub for an hour while she put on a jazz CD and drink a bottle of white wine. But the phone rang the minute she got into her apartment. Gwynn invited her and pleaded to her conscience, “I really want you to get to know Paul, Kate. I think he might be the one and I want him to get along with my best friend.”

So here she is. Her hair up in a messy—but chic—chignon, bundled in a little back halter dress and balancing on five inch pumps. It was killing her.

She toddled of to the bar. Maybe she should just get drunk. It will numb her. But there is school tomorrow, she remembered. At least it was Friday and Christmas break would start next week. As much as she loves her adorable preschool students, Kate can’t help but crave long breaks.

She ordered a glass of champagne, sat on the bar stool and twirled around to face the people on the dance floor. This stupid Christmas charity ball—Paul’s company hosted—isn’t that bad. After all, the proceeds would go to the Children’s hospital and orphanage downtown. Kate just wished she didn’t have to stand alone right here like a loser.

 “Hello.”

Kate turned to her right to find a man occupy the vacant seat next to hers. The phrase be careful for what you wish for because you just might get it flashed through her mind. But still she smiled politely. “Hello back.”

The man ordered scotch from the bartender without his eyes leaving her face. “So are you a supporter of this charity?” He asked with a grin playing on his lips.

Kate’s eyes drifted down to his mouth. For a man, his mouth looks very sensual. She shook her head to clear her thoughts. What the hell was she thinking? She glanced up to find the man’s eyes full of amusement. Then she remembered he asked her a question. “Uh, no. I mean yes,” she blabbered. “Actually, I just got an invite from a friend.”

He lifted the glass of scotch and took a sip. “Is this friend by any chance a man?”

Kate shook her head. “No, it’s actually my best friend, Gwynn. I’ve known her for like forever. We lived across each other since we were babies. However, she moved here in LA three years ago to study. She’s a chef now. I just got here a couple of months ago myself.” She suddenly stopped, embarrassed. “Sorry, too much information.”

He waved his hand. “It’s okay.” He said after taking another drink at his scotch. “So you said you just moved here. Let me guess your job.”

Kate was flustered. She has never had a man this gorgeous flirt with her before. She dated a few guys in college but none of them were serious. It didn’t become serious enough to develop into more intimate connections other than a couple of chaste kisses. “Sure…”