Courting Kate: The Memory

“It's not always easy,

And sometimes life can be deceiving,

I'll tell you one thing, it’s always better when we're together.” –Better Together, Jack Johnson

12

Kate stretched out the kinks in her body and immediately felt a pair of lips settle on her nape. She turned sideways and nuzzled to her source of warmth.

“Hmm, what a lovely way to wake up,” she murmured, tilting her chin to kiss the man who enveloped her in his arms.

“Indeed,” Giancarlo agreed. “Good morning, cara.”

She moaned a little. “…mmm ‘morning.” He let his hands wander all over her. “Giancarlo, if this is your way to persuade me to marry you then isn’t it a little too late? Besides, I’ve already agreed last night.”

He stilled and pulled back a little to study Kate’s face. “What are you talking about?”

“You asked me to…” She trailed off and put a hand to her head. “I don’t— I don’t…”

“Shh,” Giancarlo gathered her back against him. “Don’t stress yourself too much.”

They were quiet for a moment until Kate asked, “You asked me to marry you on our first night together, didn’t you?” She felt him nod. “I think I remember…”

He kissed her temples lightly and stroked her back. “Later, cara. Sleep off the headache first.”

After an hour, Kate got up to shower. When she went out of the bathroom, she found Giancarlo sitting on their bed with a tray full of her favorite breakfast meal beside him.

“Hungry?” He asked.

“Starving,” she replied. Giancarlo patted the space on the bed next to him and she immediately made her way to sit beside him. “Aren’t you eating with me?” Kate asked when she picked up a strawberry and her husband didn’t do anything but watch her.

“I’ve already eaten. I just want to watch you.”

She flushed under her gaze but proceeded to devour the food on the tray. “Why are you looking at me like that?” She asked in between bites when she noticed him staring intently at her.

“Last night you said you remembered our first night together and this morning when you woke up—”

“I remembered that you asked me to marry you after the first night you made love to me,” she finished for him. She abandoned the food and wrapped her arms around her husband. “I’m remembering more each day, Giancarlo. I’m remembering more about us.”

“That’s good to hear, cara.”

“You just have to be patient with me for a bit longer.” She brushed a lock of his hair that fell on his forehead. “Think you can do that?” She tried to sound casual as she asked the question but he must have sensed the fear under it.

He kissed her softly. “Cara, I can wait for you for a lifetime. Just as long as I have you with me.” Tears filled her eyes but he brushed them away. “No more tears, baby. We’ll get through this.”

She nodded, hoping and praying he’s right. “I love you. I love you so much.” Giancarlo stilled. Staring at her intensely, he opened his mouth but nothing came out. Kate chuckled over the lump in her throat. “I’m sure, if that’s what you want to ask. I’m sure that I love you—just like I’m sure that I love our children. I didn’t need the memory of our first time making love together to remind me of that. When you told me about the accident and us being married, I knew deep down that I love you. So whatever happens, my darling, please don’t ever doubt what I feel for you.”