Chapter 7

Katniss P.O.V

Annie had told me to meet her an extra hour earlier. I don't really know why, but I have to be extra careful getting out of bed so I don't wake Peeta.

I slip on skinny jeans, a black long-sleeved shirt and black boots. I throw on my leather jacket and hail a cab.

The coffee shop is quiet this morning, most likely because I'm an hour early. Annie sits at our usual table with our usual coffee. She gives me a sad smile, and I know something's wrong.

"Hey!" I say as peppily as I can.

"Hi hon. Sit down. We need to talk." Annie says. She grabs my free hand from across the table and begins.

"You texted me yesterday that your dating your housemate Peeta Mellark, correct?" She asks.

"Yeah!" I say, smiling at the thought.

"Well I decided to do my fair share of research after Finnick brought something to my attention."

I gulp. "What might that be?" I ask her, my voice wavering.

"Katniss, honey, Peeta doesn't like you."

"What? Of course he does." I say, telling myself that, that's what I believe.

"No he doesn't. More than one person has told me that he uses girls who provide him house space to make sure they keep him there because he's broke and can't afford his own house. That's why if you seemed distant or far-away, if you ever were, he freaked out."

"Annie this can't be true. It's all lies. Are you messing with me? Your messing with me." I force a laugh. "Wow, that was funny."

Annie smiles apologetically to me. "Katniss, I'm so sorry. He did seem like such a sweet guy."

"So I was right." I choke out. Annie looks at me, generally confused.

"I told Peeta that all loved ones leave. I was right." I say, and I have just enough time to hide my face in my hands before I start to cry. They come like pre-made waterfalls that had been waiting to spill from my eyes.

Annie reaches out and touches my arm.

"Oh Katniss that isn't true! You just haven't found the right man yet."

"Peeta. It was him." I say angrily, looking at Annie. She looks at me with the saddest expression.

"He is the one I love." I say.

Annie glances at her phone.

"Katniss, I have to go. I hope everything works out for you love. Text me if you need anything."

And I'm alone.

I wipe my tears with the brown paper napkins on the table and look off into the city. Why did Peeta have to be like that? I sit for another hour.
I have to go home soon. Or sometime.

I hail a cab back to my home. I take a deep breath once out of the car. I look in my phone camera. You could barely tell I was crying. I fish around for my house key, and walk up the stairs to my home, all the while thinking...
Why?