| THREE |

"What do you mean we are going to Fort Benning?"

It was the first thing Megan heard when she stepped out of the RV, having unintentionally fallen asleep inside. She initially felt bad for leaving her friends to deal with the aftermath of the massacre the night before, but when she stepped out of the RV, she realised that everyone was too busy bickering to realise she had skimped on the chores.

She groaned and stretched her aching limbs as she looked around at the rest of the camp. There was so much going on. People were arguing, and Rick and Shane appeared to be trying to calm down Daryl, who was pacing around the camp with his crossbow in one hand and his knife in the other.

"What's going on?" Megan asked curiously; her question wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, and for the most part, she was ignored.

"Apparently, we are going to Fort Benning," Daryl muttered as his pacing directed him toward her.

Megan sighed to herself; only hours ago, they had agreed that the CDC was the best option, at least for answers, not so much for shelter and supplies.

"I thought the CDC was the best option?" Megan questioned Rick. He stood leaning against a car with his arms crossing his chest.

"It is, but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Shane is sure it'll be safe. I need to think about protecting my family from the dangers around them, not searching for answers that could lead us nowhere," Rick replied with a sigh.

He did have hope that going to the CDC may give Jim a chance of survival after finding out he had been bit during the attack, but Shane had given some good points, stating that they couldn't go back to the city without proper planning, there was too much danger there.

Megan opened her mouth to reply, but Jacqui spoke first, "what about Jim? If the CDC have a cure, shouldn't we get Jim there as soon as possible?" Jacqui questioned in concern as she held a damp cloth to Jim's head.

Megan hadn't been aware of Jim's predicament, so her concern about where they were heading turned to concern for Jim and his potential to die and turn without anyone noticing.

"We've already spoken to Jim; he wants to be left behind," Shane replied matter of factly with little emotion.

While not many of the people within the camp completely agreed with going to Fort Benning, eventually, it was agreed upon to make the journey and scavenge for gasoline during their journey; with some convincing, even Daryl agreed to go, but he made it known that he wasn't happy and thoroughly believed that both ideas were a waste of time.

They had predicted another seven hours of daylight left, and with most not wanting to stay at the quarry any longer, everyone rallied around to pack up as quickly as possible.

Megan had spent her time packing the RV and cars with any supplies she could gather while trying to give Andrea words of comfort and reassurance, but she remained in a daze.

"Everyone set?" Shane called out, standing by his vehicle, having been ready to leave for almost an hour.

Eventually, the group gathered to the vehicles to leave, not before saying their goodbyes to Jim, who remained sat against a tree with a content look on his face, finally feeling free of the pain that came with the losses of his family weeks prior.