Brain Games

The cat carrier made a reappearance and my green eyes glinted with frustration. Seeing my disgruntled expression, Tessa sighed, opening the door to my newest box slowly.

"I know, I know, it's no fun to be in a little box. We just can't have you getting out," she said, picking me up and placing me inside.

I mewed in protest as she closed the door of the carrier and clicked the lock shut.

Daniel was nearly finished putting the equipment back, and he hummed as he stashed the medical instruments back in their proper places.

"These are the fun tests, Eden. No more needles or scans," Tessa whispered, watching me glare at her through the bars. She smiled faintly.

Turning away from her and curling up on the floor of my plastic cage, I waited, wishing this would all be over.

Daniel, still humming quietly, washed his hands, having finished cleaning up the tools and exam table. He returned to his place by Tessa's side and she nodded at him, signaling her readiness to leave the Veterinary Lab.

She grabbed the carrier, which was dangerously unsteady, and I pressed myself against the floor, squeezing my eyes shut.

Here we go again... I thought to myself.

This time I didn't bother to watch as we snaked through the winding white hallways, instead staring at the darkness behind my eyelids as I swung back and forth to the rhythm of her footsteps.

When the pendulum-like motion stopped, I opened my eyes, relieved. I stood up and peered through the slits in my carrier, discovering that we were in yet another white room.

What is it with these people and white? I wondered.

This time the blank room had nothing in it but a single speaker on the ceiling and video cameras, which were stationed in each corner; a tinted glass window and door on one wall separated it from the room where Tessa and Daniel would monitor my results and record their findings.

Tessa unlocked the door and released me into the room, watching as I slowly stepped out onto the colorless floor. I looked at her expectantly, waiting for instructions.

Daniel disappeared through the door on the wall, taking the carrier with him. When he returned, he had two clipboards tucked under his arm and an enormous grin on his face.

"You'll love these ones, Eden. They're almost like games," he said, smiling at me.

Even to an exhausted, frightened and confused person who has been turned into a cat, games sound enjoyable. My tiredness was suddenly less noticeable and I wasn't as upset about taking more tests.

If cats can grin, I certainly did.

Daniel laughed softly at my expression before turning to his partner.

"Ready, Tess?" he asked, handing her a clipboard.

"Let's get this over with," she replied, turning and walking towards the door with Daniel in tow. When they had both gone into the control room and shut the door, I listened as they got the equipment up and running.

My tail flicked in annoyance. I'd been promised games, and I had better not be kept waiting...

"Testing begins in three seconds..." A robotic voice announced. "Cameras on in three, two, one..."

I stared at the speaker.

"These tests will be used to determine the cognitive function of test subject number 355, the only survivor of the first and second phases of the Metamorphosis project. Experts have verified that the subject is physically feline, but her mental state is yet to be determined," the droning speaker continued.