A Serpent's Lair

After a winding walk through colorless hallways, where pale doors lined the seemingly endless corridors, we stopped in front of a door that was distinctly different from the rest. Instead of being bleached a sickening shade of whitish grey, this door was a massive piece of oak, carved intricately, painted a vibrant shade of cobalt, and inlaid with gold. Such a marvelous piece of workmanship seemed out of place in the strange world of white I reluctantly called home.
Tessa knocked lightly on the door, her faint rapping timid and almost apprehensive.
His frigid voice answered, "Come in."
Daniel turned the knob slowly, then pushed the immense door open for Tessa, who stepped inside cautiously, her eyes fixed on her shoes.
The room was spacious, filled with expensive looking furniture that was surprising to see in a building that had previously seemed sterile and plain. A crystal chandelier illuminated the room, which smelled of pricey cologne, furniture polish, and expensive alcoholic beverages. I wrinkled my nose in disgust, despising my heightened sense of smell as these new scents overpowered me.
The hardwood floor was polished to perfection, and not a single mote of dust could be seen anywhere.  The elegant rug was an ancient Persian masterpiece, yet none of its vibrant patterns had faded, and looked like it had cost a fortune. On either side of the rug, enormous and beautifully ornamented plush couches sat, their legs made of inlaid wood. Immense bookshelves and cupboards made of equally polished wood lined the walls behind a beautiful oak desk, skillfully carved, with not a scratch to be seen. Behind this desk sat my nightmare, the man with a voice like silver and eyes to match. With his pressed suit and perfectly styled hair, he looked like he belonged in an office like this; like at any moment he might melt into his luxurious leather chair.
His posture was impeccable, and yet he looked relaxed; the corners of his mouth turned upwards in a small smile and his eyes gleamed as he met my gaze.
"Daniel, close the door," he asked, his voice like mercury beading and rolling down one's hands. Daniel obeyed without a moment's hesitation, and then returned to his usual place by Tessa's side.
"We've finished testing, sir," Tessa said. "Daniel brought the files, if you'd like to look at the results."
"Good. Bring them here," he said dismissively, waving Daniel forward.
"I think you'll be pleased," Daniel replied, handing him the folder.
"I'd better be," he answered, his eyes glinting with a hint of danger and a flash of anticipation. He peered the file and immediately beginning to leaf through the pages. Tessa set the cat carrier down on the floor, and I contemplated how nice it would feel to sink my claws into his expensive couches. I itched to tear into them, and maybe the rug while I was at it, but my plastic prison prevented me from having my way with the furniture. Bored, I turned my gaze back to the man behind the desk. His grin grew as he read, and by the time he'd closed the folder, he was beaming.
"Saying I'm pleased would be an understatement," he said, setting the file down on the desk and returning his attention to the two scientists. "I'm beyond pleased with the work you two have done."
"Thank you, sir," Daniel replied quietly, and Tessa nodded, a faint smile forming.
"I do believe this calls for celebration," he continued. "But before I bring out the crystal and champagne, I'd like to see our little star."
"Of course," Daniel said. He made his way over to where I was, and began undoing the lock. I mewed at him, pawing at the door, eager to be freed. Before he released me, he bent down close and whispered, "Behave yourself, or he won't let you out again."
I glanced at him with annoyance, but did not protest as the gently scooped me up. Cradling me in his arms, he carefully carried me over to the desk, where he was instructed to set me down. By now, I was trembling ever so slightly, and I sat perfectly still on the wooden desk, gathering my courage as I pretended to be interested in the patterns of the grain.
"How's my favorite little success?" he purred, his grey-blue eyes gleaming. I looked up and met his gaze, narrowing my emerald eyes and glaring at him. Had I not been trapped in the body of a feline, I would have shot some snarky comment at him. It seemed he sensed this.
"Oh, don't look at me like that," he said. "I can't help but be proud of you." He smirked, and I struggled not to rake my claws across that smug face of his.
"I think you deserve a little break now, don't you?" he continued. "No more tests or lab work tonight. Just a little bit of luxury and well deserved rest."
My ears perked up at the idea, and I wondered if perhaps he wasn't as heartless as I thought.
"You can join us as we celebrate you," he concluded, grinning. "I know you can't have champagne, but maybe something to eat would suit you?"
I nodded, the idea of food filling me with anticipation. He chucked at my expression before turning to Tessa.
"When was the last time she ate?" he asked.
"We gave her substantial nutrition after each of her operations, while she was still unconscious," Tessa replied.
"I see. So feeding her now shouldn't pose a problem?"
"No, I think she should eat."
He smiled at me. "Feed you it is. I had the kitchen staff prepare you something earlier today, so I'll ask them to bring it down."
Kitchen staff? I wondered. How many people work here? For that matter, what is this place?
He picked up the phone that sat on his desk, while I pawed absentmindedly at some pens I had discovered. He began to talk to the kitchen staff, who I assumed was on the other end, but I heard all of two words before I accidentally knocked a pen to the floor. As it rolled away, my eyes were fixed on it, my tail twitching.
I leapt after it, pouncing and batting it across the floor, overwhelmed by a burning desire to pursue. Daniel and Tessa struggled to suppress their laughter, especially as I slipped on the hardwood floor and skidded before regaining my footing. The pen rolled underneath one of the couches, and I darted after it.
Swatting at it, I managed to send it spinning across the floor, where it was stopped by Daniel's shoe. Springing after my prey, I pinned the pen to the floor, breathing heavily.
Daniel, still recovering from a bout of laughter, scooped me and my pen up, putting us each where we belonged on the desk. The phone call had already ended.
I'd half expected him to be upset, but when I looked up at him, I could have sworn I'd seen the faint beginnings of a smile.
"I see you're quite energetic, Eden," he remarked, examining his pen, which I had blessed with tiny scratch marks and the impressions of my teeth. "But next time, do spare my pens. I wasn't particularly fond of this one, but I'm sure we could find you better playthings."
"Whatever you say," I muttered under my breath, but all he heard was a faint meow.
"Excellent, it's nice to hear that we're on the same page," he replied.
I laughed to myself, realizing that his inability to understand me meant I could say whatever I wanted.
"I hate you," I purred sweetly.
He smiled, clueless as to what I had just said, and set the pen down on the desk.
"Since this pen is no longer of use to me, and it seems you've taken a liking to it, I'll permit you to have it."
I snickered. "I sincerely hope you fall into a snake pit, or maybe a lagoon full of sharks."
"You are quite welcome."
I don't think I'd ever laughed so hard in my life.
He must have seen my smirk, or maybe the mischievous glint in my eyes, because he raised one eyebrow quizzically.
"You certainly look amused. Was it something I said?" he asked.
I just shook my head, grinning.