Chapter One: Disappointing News

Glancing into the hanging mirror in my closet, I'm met with familiar green eyes, long copper hair surrounding a pale oval face with dozens of freckles. The blue dress fits perfectly, a present from my aunt for Christmas. It's short enough that it shows off my long legs, but not too short that I'd flash someone if I bent over.
I decided to change anyways. I'm just not a big fan of dresses. They are only good for formal situations. Like weddings or funerals.

Eventually, I settled on a black tank top and a pair of ripped skinny jeans, pairing the outfit with a black beanie and a chain necklace instead. It's very cute and much more my style.
I smiled into the mirror as I threw my hair into a messy bun. Hmm, maybe I should cut my hair soon. I'll talk to Bea about it later.

Beatrice is my cousin and best friend, the only person I trust completely. As much as I love my long hair, it can be a bit plain sometimes.

"Naomi! Hun, you have got to hurry up! You'll be late for school!" My mother Rachel, yelled from downstairs.
"I'm coming!" I yelled, grabbing my phone and backpack I left my room. On instinct, I turned left and started towards Bea's room, but then I remembered that she already left for school. A meeting for some club she's in.

Running down the stairs I tripped, almost falling down the last three steps. I steadied myself and headed to the living room, passing my mom's work luggage. "Mom, are you going on a trip?" I asked slipping on my favorite shoes—cute grey combat boots with black laces.
Mom exited the kitchen, her long brown hair tied up in a high pony, wispy strands of hair framing her rounded face "Yes, I have to. I'm sorry.' She said messing with her purse so she could avoid eye contact. Weird

"Okay." I shrugged "how long will you be gone?" It isn't uncommon for her to leave for days at a time. She does it for her job as a wildlife vet. So honestly, I'm not that surprised she will be leaving again.
Her trips are the main reason Beatrice and my aunt Rebecca live with us. So my aunt can keep an eye on me, a live-in babysitter.

"For ten weeks. I'm sorry-" she started to say but I cut her off "wait, my birthday is in eight weeks." I can not believe this! How dare she! "You're gonna miss my birthday again?" I asked my voice cracking a bit. "You promised you would be here for this one!" I frowned and shook my head. My messy bun getting messier from the movement. My sadness quickly turned to anger "Oh wait, of course, you lied. Why am I even surprised." I snapped storming out of the house, door slamming behind me. I could barely hear mom yelling for me from inside.

As I started the twenty-minute walk to school I thought about all the birthdays my mom has missed. There are so many. Luckily Bea and Rebecca have always tried to make sure that it's a great day. Strangely enough, Bea and I share the same birthday, although I'm about three hours older. Rachel and Rebecca have always done everything together, including being single mothers. Bea's dad was a firefighter who died when she was just over a year old.

My mother started missing my birthday when I was ten. I might act like it's no big deal, but I really miss her. She's never really home anymore. I only have my mom, since my father left us before I was even born.

About twelve minutes into my trek, I decided to cut through a small nearby park. Nock a good five minutes off my walk. I looked around and saw that the park was completely empty.
Probably because everyone is still sleeping I
thought laughing to myself. Pulling out my phone I checked the time, 5:40

"It's so early." I groaned, looking at the surrounding park. It's a nice park, just on the small side. Three sides of the park are lined by a thick forest that spans thirty-plus acres. As kids, we used to play in the Woodland, hide and seek, tag, swamp monster, you named it. But it all stopped when I was twelve. When little Steven never made it home. He wasn't one of my friends but we had been in the same class for years. One day he went to the park after school and just never came home. He was missing for three months. Every day his parents would walk around with posters of him or go looking in the woods. They didn't find him until the last day of school, his body was in an Old Fort thing that was built behind the old Robin's house. It had been
abandoned for years so I guess no one really thought to look there. The cops said that it was an animal attack, but no one really believed them.

Something doesn't feel right I thought suddenly, the hair on the back of my neck stood, Goosebumps breaking out across my arms.
I swear I could see two pairs of eyes staring at me from the edge of the forest, I know it's stupid but I tried to step closer to get a better look, snatching my phone out of my back pocket I try to snap a quick photo. A sudden shout startled me so bad I dropped my phone.
"Naomi!" My cousin was quickly jogging my way, "There you are!"
"Hey Bea," I replied shaking off the creepy feeling that had settled over me. I looked at my cousin, everyone says we look like twins, but I don't see it. Her copper hair is a shade or two lighter than mine and straighter, Her face is more oval, while mine is square, but the main difference is she has shockingly light blue eyes while my eyes are a dark brown.

"Where have you been? I looked everywhere for you!"
"Sorry, Mom and I got into an argument," I said as I glanced behind me to the woods, the eyes were gone.
"Oh?" Bea asked, I can tell she is trying to look surprised but just not in our eyes or tone. Just her asking brings tears to my eyes and I finally break down.
"She's leaving on another trip. She'll be gone for my birthday! My 18th birthday! Can you believe her?" I asked, or well yelled getting more upset as I went on.
"Well, are you honestly surprised?" Bea asked hesitantly, "She's almost always gone..." She added in a small whisper.
I sighed "Yeah, I know. I was just hoping this year would be different.
It would be amazing to have her there for our birthdays."
"I know," Bea said, comfortingly rubbing my back as we finished the short walk to school.
"She kept saying we have to talk. Before the seventeenth. She said it was something super important." I added
"You too?" Bea asked, "Moms been bugging me for days." she paused and thoughtfully added, "Must not be too important if she's just gonna leave."
I shrugged "I don't know or care. I just want to get this day over and go home and sleep for a week." I sighed looking at the high school's doors.
Bea laughed, "I'm with you there sister." Grabbed my arm and led us into the building.