Part 5: Jeordie

They had broken free of the grass.

I scrabbled for my gun, and in doing so my grip on Monte's collar slipped a little. It was the slightest movement, but Monte felt it and saw his chance. He burst forward with all of his huge Great Dane strength. My stomach sank in dread. He slipped from my hands and ran down the one-man bridge to Valerie. The ropes groaned in distress, before snapping altogether. Valerie leapt and grabbed onto the edge of the gorge, but Monte fell with the bridge to hit the water below with a sickening smack. Aluna dragged Valerie safely up to the plateau.

I spun and shot the Changed down as fast as I could. There was no escape. My gun was empty. I turned to Valerie.

"Love you, Val." I said, hoping she would hear over the keening of the Changed. She screamed my name in distress, fighting Aluna's restraining arms. Her lovely dreadlocks whipped across her white face. Valerie reached across the gorge to me, shaking, tears running down her face. I smiled sadly and shook my head. I knew what I had to do. Aluna nodded solemnly at me, a silent promise in her eyes. She would look after my little sister. There was no escape for me. I could not win this fight. A numb feeling of resignation and acceptance took over my desperation. I dragged a fallen Changed from the ground, and before I let myself have time to think, jumped, with the zombie carcass beneath me.

The last thing I heard as I fell was Valerie's scream of "I'll find you!".