Part 50: Epilogue

Bang, bang, bang.

The dog lifted its head towards the direction of the noise, but seemed to decide against inspecting its source.

Finally she was free from her restraints, her collar now lying beside her in the leaves.

Silently as a wraith the German shepherd, blood dried thickly in her dirty coat, padded out of the campsite. The dense leaf litter was disturbed in places and stained black with human blood, some patches old and some a lot more recent. She stepped over remaining packs and sleeping bags and broke into a clumsy lope, her tongue lolling out of her mouth lazily. Scarlet drops rolled down the long red tongue and dripped onto the ground beneath her one by one.

The dog ran with an intent unknown to its own, slow consciousness. It had no wants or needs, only the instinct to kill and tear and devour.

From the edge of its hearing range the dog sensed the distinctive sound of large creatures walking through bushland, accompanied by the unmistakable scent of hot fresh blood and living things.

Mindlessly Pancake changed her tracks and set off to catch her next meal.

THE END

((NOTE, 2019 - If you enjoyed this and want more, check my profile for Survival's brand new sequel - Revival!! Regular updates!! ))

I feel like I should write something nice here I dunno just ignore this if it's too soppy but ending a story that I've been writing for so long without any kind of acknowledgement feels odd.

A big thanks to everyone I killed. Those that I can remember (and were significant) are here

Monte, Jeordie's Mum, Valerie, Jeordie, Paz, Grace, Robert, Kobey, Marcus, Aris, Lucille, Max, Ben, Simon, Rose, Aluna, Indiana and the tons and tons of nameless zombies that used to be people with lives and families and hopes and dreams etc that I wasn't bothered to think of and/or write about.

Thanks to people that let me base characters off them. I'm sorry you all died. It was nothing personal, really. Well. For some of you it was. But you probably don't know you were in the story anyways. I didn't make it obvious (I hope).

And thanks to whoever the hell has been actually reading this shitty story of mine

And thanks to Silverchair

Okay I'm gonna stop now

Britta out

----