Chapter 19

Vicky cringed as the first man noticed her. He seemed to be the leader. His scowl softened only for an instant before he turned curtly and led the men past her into the saloon. The big man's eyes followed them coldly hardly noticing her as his gaze burned after those men.

"Excuse me, Sir." She stepped forward after a moment. "What do you mean this ain't Kelley's paper no more?"

"Who's asking?" His eyes raked her from top to bottom and a look of disgust filled his features.

"You would be the wife."

Vicky nodded, although she knew it wasn't a question.

"He sold it to me this morning. He's gone." He said smugly before he turned and went inside, leaving her on the boardwalk to gape after him.

---

Jeremy saw the buckboard coming in and ducked out of sight. He couldn't see her again, or his resolve might give way. He saw them split up. She went to the paper. Simmons wouldn't give her much of his time so he had to hurry if he was going to talk to Quinton.

Time for a little nudge.

Quinton and Louie were loading supplies when Quin saw Jeremy duck into the alley behind the store.

"Louie, get Cato to help you finish up will you? I have something I have to do. I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Sure boss."

Quinton went through the store and out the backroom door. He'd expected this visit and knew from the expression on Jeremy's face it was all business.

Vicky shuffled numbly up to the buckboard. Cato put the flour sack he carried in back and lifted Vicky up. Without words he handed Naomi Beth up and went back to helping with supplies.

Vicky sat feeling helpless. It was a feeling she was unaccustomed to and one she definitely didn't like. Her world was unraveling around her and she was too heavy with child to do anything about it. She was suddenly felt lost. She'd never be free again. From the day her baby was born she'd have to live for the baby. Naomi Beth squirmed just then in an effort to see a doggie wandering by.

Vicky's face softened to a look of love and wonder. She'd been taking care of Naomi Beth now for nearly two years. She remembered the way she'd felt when the bandits had taken them. She'd not been weaker for the experience. She was made stronger by her love for her daughter. She'd always take care of herself and her children, but she wouldn't always be helpless.

---

"Does she know you're leaving?" Quin asked in disbelief.

"She does now. I saw her going toward the paper."

"You need to tell her. She needs to know—"

"She can't know why and neither can you."

"Smith?"

Jeremy nodded but stayed silent.

"I understand. But I don't like it. You should at least say goodbye."

"I will. I can't right now though. But you have to do something for me?"

"Anything."

"Take care of them for me? If anything happens to me—"

"I'll take care of them until you come home."

"I need to hear you say it Quin. I can't do what I need to do unless I know they're safe. Promise me."