Chapter 1

Sorry this chapter is so short. I will try to write bigger chapters. Please comment and tell me what you think. Thanks! :)

Chapter 1

As I looked out the window I realized what day it was. Reaping day. Reaping day was the day that the capitol would take In one boy and girl and put them in an enclosed space to fight to the death as a televised event. It all happened 26 years ago when the rebels backfired on the capitol and a war began. The capitol, of course, won and from then on they would take a boy and girl from the ages of 12-18 to fight to the death to show that the capitol was still in control of all of them. District 5, my district, still only had a few winners, but that is better than district 12 who has none. I got out of my warm bed and stepped on to the hard floor. My mother was sitting at her normal table figuring out something to do with power. Each district has a certain duty whether it is luxury to coal mining, ours was power. You had to be smart to deal with power so most all of the people In district 5 were smart.

“Do we have any bread?” I asked.

“Yes, its up on the cabinet.” She said back, not taking her eyes of her paper.

I looked on top of the cabinet and there was a loaf of moldy bread.

“Do you expect me to eat this?”

“Do you expect me to care?”

I grunted, grabbed my jacket, and walked out the door. I was probably going to go to the bakery but every once and a while I went to a lady who sold cheap grain, it was also extremely illegal unless you get tesserae. In district 5 very few people got tesserae. Oh, what the heck, I’m feeling rebellious, ill go to the cheap-grain lady.

As I walked up to her store I noticed something different about her. She was more soft on her prices. Instead of haggling a little bit she would accept the first price I through out. I saw a lady walk in and I decided it wouldn’t hurt to ask her.

“Maam’ um do you know why she is just practically giving me the grain?’’

“She is always nicer to the kids on Reaping day.” she whispered.

I bought a 2 pound bag of leftover tesserae grain and started home. When I got home my mother was waiting at the door.

“Did you get the bread?’’ My mother asked.

“I got the grain.” I said holding up the bag.

“Tell me you did not go to that idiot grain lady!”

“The point is I got breakfast.”

I walked away as she yelled to get ready for the reaping. I found a faded green dress in the bottom of my drawer and started to boil the water for my bath. Although we make power, we don’t have instant hot water like the capitol. After washing and putting rolls in my hair I squeezed into my dress. I bought it last year and I’ve only gained a couple a pounds. I’m 15 and I’m only around 90 pounds but the dress still insists to squeeze my guts out.

“Lily! We need to go, NOW!” My mother screamed at me.

As I walked out the door and saw so many capitol fashions and accents. I knew there would be lots of capitol people here but I didn’t think there would be this many. I could just spot through the crowd the District 5 escort.

Andia Furggle was her name. She made sure the tributes got everywhere on time and if she could do anything to help the 12 year olds calm down it would be to leave because she is scaring them with her outfit and screaming places for people to go.

Finally, when you get into the line to enter the square, they prick your finger and pick a spot for you. Boys on one side and girls on the other. The usually empty square is packed with people and there is a huge stage in the middle of everything. It took around 2 more hours for everyone to get into the square and then we saw Andia walk on the stage.

“Welcome, everyone! Today we are gathered to pick one brave boy and girl to represent district 5 in the 26th Hunger Games. Ladies first!”

She reached into the ball that held thousands of slips for what seemed like ages and finally picked one. She held it out for everyone to see and opened it.

I just hoped it wasn’t me.

“Lily Green!”