Racing

After a short time I forgot how it felt to have the wind blowing through my hair. Each strand dancing in their own way, somehow finding a sense of joy and occasion to move so carelessly given the current situation. The pounding of the mare's hooves beneath me ceased to beat so rigorously as I fell back into the old rhythm of riding, the familiar feeling of her mane tangled in my fingers as she raced as though there was no tomorrow; the way she panted in perfect harmony with her heavy footfalls...

A memory stirred, reminding me of a time when father would take me with him when he rode to town. I was only small of course, not a care in the world! But it was a time when father was more able, less frail and more light hearted than he appeared nowadays.. still I cherish the times i spent with him when he was full of light and laughter, now he only seemed to show despair in those once bright eyes. He was growing tired, poor soul, and how I loved him so.. I pushed all thoughts of losing him aside, i couldn't even comprehend losing him yet, especially now, when i needed his comfort most. 

I was thrown back into reality when i heard a voice cry out in front of me, i hadn't seen the rider approaching the other way as barely anyone traveled through the woods, that is if they even knew the path existed at all.. My mare reared suddenly as the carriage ground to an unsteady stop but a few feet away from me. Just managing to hold onto her for dear life and save being thrown to the dry forest floor I stroked her neck, soothing, feeling the pulsing of her heart through my shaking hands, trying to steady my own fragmented heartbeats as I stared, wide-eyed at who I had almost collided with. 

"Sir, I'm terribly sorry i wasn't looking where i was going you see, oh goodness I -"

"No matter my dear, there's nothing to apologize for" the stranger replied heartily, almost laughing as he did so 

"But sir, i almost-" i stuttered foolishly 

"Hush now, as long as you aren't hurt my lady" he replied with the utmost sincerity 

"Oh sir I can assure you, I'm no lady" I gushed out, breathless. Me? a lady? I knew as much as anyone that I was of no such status and I highly doubted that my ragged dress I had fallen asleep in the previous night and my wild, windswept hair suggested the idea of elegance. Catching my breath, I studied the gentleman. His hair was shorter than that of most men, barely brushing his broad, uniformed shoulders. Blonde, like sunbeams that shine through at the day's first light and against his pale skin they reminded me of my dearest sister, Jane.. His eyes, dark brown, mirroring the bark on the surrounding trees looked sad, as though they had seen tragedy in all it's cruelty which seemed odd for one so young. I watched the way his mouth curved upwards slightly when he spoke, as though he found his only joy in speaking to others.. maybe he was lonely?.. I was still pondering the possibilities when he broke the silence: "Excuse me miss, is everything alright? Do you need help?" he asked, concerned.

"oh uh no sir, I um I just was- sorry I've um.. I've had a long day.." I stuttered in reply, feeling the blood rush to my cheeks in sheer embarrassment as I fumbled over my words.  He chuckled softly, finding humor in my misfortunes. Though a part of me wanted to confront him, his smile introduced a lightness which overtook all feelings of hostility...

"Excuse me miss, may i ask your name?" he asked timidly, as though he believed I would snap at him for asking such a mundane question.

"Elizabeth.." i replied "Elizabeth Bennet" 

"Lovely to meet you Miss Bennet, my name is Harry, Harry Fenton" he extended his white gloved hand out to me in greeting. I took it reluctantly, afraid to dirty  his beautifully pristine gloves.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr Fenton" I replied as he raised his hand to his lips and kissed my fingers as though they were the most precious and fragile things he had ever held. I blushed again and was startled by the way my stomach was screaming at me, I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten.. It rumbled again and pressed my hands to my stomach, trying to stifle the ever growing moan emitting from my body. Mr Fenton noticed this and chuckled quietly to himself

"Ah, i see.. well if it's of any help I know of a tavern not far from here. If you'd like, you could join me for something to eat and drink. Pardon me for being so forward but you look like you need it.." He said shyly. I knew he meant well, so I accepted his kind invitation and followed him into the town. Surprisingly the town was actually very near to us, as he had said, which was odd as I had never knew it existed. As we trotted over the cobbled pathways through the narrow streets I noticed that this town had a certain charm to it. The way the ivy grew over the well in the square and the gentle rushing of the stream that ran underneath the bridges soothed my ears along with the sound of the swaying trees in the orchard just across the river. The houses were small;  jammed closely together as though there were hundreds of occupants, although there seemed to be any normal number of residents. The markets were busy, but not as chaotic as the ones I was used to. I stopped briefly to look at my surroundings, take in the sun and soak in the humble small-town atmosphere I had always longed to experience but never had the opportunity to.   "Miss Elizabeth" Mr Fenton called from across the square, "The tavern is just around the corner". Taking one last glance at the beauty that engulfed this sweet little town, I followed him to the tavern: 'The Drowning Maiden'.