Chapter 2; Rescue

" So basically, the plan is chaos as usual." Ria covered her face with one hand, peeking at her long time acquaintance from between her slender fingers.

" What, would you prefer we ask them nicely to hand Cassius over to us? I'm sure they'll just jump at that."

" Don't you get sarcastic with me buddy, unless you wanna find yourself a new get away driver." She stated, then reached in to turn on the radio.

" You know, lots of people can drive, Ria."

" And lots more would love to exchange your head for their money, Dio."

Dionysus, or Dio as he tended to prefer, was exasperated. He'd known Ria for half a decade, and still couldn't wrap his head around her- she was one of the most frustrating people he'd ever met, but she was also one of the few he could trust.

If asked, he would likely say something along the lines of 'that doesn't mean I have to like her.' but the truth was, he did. She was something akin to what he imagined having a little sister would be, and he wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.

" So, I can count on you, right?"

With a sigh, the blonde woman leaned back against the sand dusted jeep. " When have I ever let you down? I'll be waiting right here." She assured with a light pat against the car door.

He nodded, scanned the horizon for any signs of life among the sea of sand, then started for the town that waited just on the other side of a dune, with Ria's music quickly fading from the background as he walked.

Memories spun in his head of his younger days, of the many times Cassius had helped him, all leading up to that fateful day when Cassius had given up his chance at freedom in exchange for his.

He owed a debt to the man, and today was the day to pay up.

As the town came into view, Dio pulled his hood up, using it to hide his face as best he could, and hoped the sunglasses he wore lent a hand to the endeavor. But if it didn't, well that just meant more casualties for their side.

With a crack of his knuckles, he stepped passed the welcome sign that marked Syon's border, and singled out three bounty hunters before he'd passed the first house.

It didn't take long for him to realize the town was crawling with them, but he'd recognized the trap back when his informant had told him about Cassius' location- why else would they have brought him to such a nothing town?

Still, it was quite a turn out.

" Guess that's what happens when they put a rich man's bank account on your head." He sighed, ducking into an alleyway.

" Yeah, I mean if I didn't know what you're capable of, I'd probably make a go of it myself." A friendly voice stated, it's owner wearing a hood of his own.

" Where is he?"

The hooded man sighed. " You're always so stiff, you should relax a little."

Dio clenched his teeth, which had the other man raising his hands in mock surrender. " Fine, fine... from what I gather they're going to be parading him around near the tavern tonight, my guess is it's because the hunters like it there." Money exchanged hands, and without a word Dio took his leave.