Chapter 13: Con #7

Con #7 - You get married then what?

"They don't really have breakfast at La Casa Mia..." I heard Jared say on the phone. He was in the kitchen talking to someone and I was being a a bad girl and eavesdropping from the bedroom. I mean he could have closed the door behind him if he wanted to have a private conversation right?

"Yeah and you can't come over right now, the house is a bit of a mess. I'm in the middle of sorting out the housekeeping problem... How about I meet you at that little coffee place you like off  St Martins road.." He said again. Who could he possible be meeting at 9 in the morning on a Sunday.

"Alright, see you in 20 minutes love" Love??? who was he calling love? Especially since we'd only been married one day. Was he cheating already? Had I driven my husband into the arms of another woman overnight? I was going crazy.

He finally hung up and started making his way back to the bedroom. From the towel wrapped around his waist, I'm guessing he'd already showered.  I quickly jumped into the bathroom conjoined with our bedroom. Our bedroom. That little thought made me smile. I started the shower with no intention of going in. I needed to know where Jared was going. I took one look at myself in the mirror and realized I was being a psycho wife. This was the sort of behaviour that was going to make Jared want to avoid me. I needed to calm down...I needed to be cool and not portray the image of psycho jealous wife.

As if on cue,

"I'm going to see a friend, I'll be back soon" Jared said, popping his head into the bathroom.

I didn't know what to say, it was all too awkward for me. I just gave him an unsure smile and with that he was gone.  He didn't even put on cologne and was wearing casual clothes. Whoever he was meeting - and my gut instinct was telling me it was Veronica- surely wasn't an important client as he would have dressed up. I did give him the go ahead to continue seeing her so I have nothing to complain about. I mean sure it hurt a little, considering that we just got married yesterday and he could have been a little more considerate. I didn't love Jared, I barely knew what that word meant but I did like him - a lot. He was nice to look at and not to mention the sex...

My phone ringing gave me a startle.

"Yeah?" I answered. I was a little disappointed that it was Conner and not Jared who was calling. I needed to snap out of it. It was probably the pregnancy hormones.

"What will you be doing in an hour?" He asked

"Aside from recovering from all the hot sex" He added before I could reply. I almost laughed.

"I'm free as a bird, Jared's not even here, he escaped as soon as he could..." I said.

"Free as a bird? Who says that Katie? You need to be more cool, like me" Conner said, clearly laughing at my awkward personality.

"I'm trying..." I was starting to feel sorry for myself.

"How about I come pick you up and we have that frozen yogurt you bailed on yesterday?"

"Yeah that sounds great. Let me shower quickly, I'll text you the address right away"

At least I wouldn't have to sit waiting for Jared to come home and look like a crazy woman when he finally did get back. I quickly texted Conner the address and told him to come in about 30 minutes. I needed to clean up the apartment a little bit after showering. It wasn't even that dirty for Jared to refuse his "love" person to come over. I needed to take a deep breathe. This whole marriage thing was starting to feel like a bit much and it was only the first day.