5

Almost a week had passed since Hiruzen had sent the ANBU squads to look for possible locations of the new village, and they'd returned six days later with a location. There were some ruins to the south that Mother Nature had yet to completely reclaim with a few buildings still standing. After reviewing their report on the land surrounding the ruins, Hiruzen quickly put together a formal request to use the land for the creation of the new ninja village, along with writing a letter explaining the situation the Leaf was in.

Before he sent the ANBU to deliver the sensitive documents to the Fire Daimyo, Ibiki had come to deliver a report on his findings while looking for as many of the orphans as possible, but his report didn't just consist of the number of found orphans. No, something of a much darker origin was found. Danzo's ROOT that were supposed to be shut down years ago were very much still active and full of orphans and kidnapped children who were thought to be dead. But they couldn't do anything until a later point once they had a new base of operations. Adding the new information to his letter, Hiruzen tied the two scrolls together and sent the ANBU off.

It was almost time for the council meeting, and Hiruzen had to prepare his outline of topics he wanted to discuss over the course of the meeting that could give the Citizen Council the opportunity to either redeem themselves or completely destroy any remaining fragments of hope the Leaf had.

================= time skip two hours

"Welcome and thank you all for coming," Hiruzen said, calling the meeting to order. He and everyone on the Shinobi Council had to heavily rely on their deception and acting skills now that they were in the same room as the very people who caused this meeting to take place.

"Lord Hokage, why are we here?" Koharu asked.

"It has come to my attention that Naruto Uzumaki and other orphans have been treated... Rather poorly as of late. As Hokage, it's my duty to make sure that every citizen of this village is treated fairly, and getting kicked out of the orphanage at five is not being treated fairly. Being chased and beaten viciously for no obvious reason is not being treated fairly. And while I haven't heard of the other orphans getting chased and beaten like Naruto has, I have decided to inform the councils of my wish to build another orphanage for the other orphans on the streets to live in and that I will not stand for the beatings any longer and will be adopting Naruto as my son," Hiruzen said with a mostly straight face.

"What? You can't possibly mean all that!" Homura asked loudly.

"Oh, but I do, and I've already submitted the papers to adopt Naruto."

"Hiruzen, allow me to show an alternative. You obviously aren't getting any younger, and having a youngster around all the time will surely do your health more harm than good. Allow me to take the boy and the other orphans under my wing, and I'll personally make sure they become some of the Leaf's top ninja in no time," Danzo offered with a small sly grin on his face.

Hiruzen could tell where this was going and mentally grimaced. I honestly hoped I was wrong about you, Danzo. But you leave me no other choice, Hiruzen thought sadly. "You aren't exactly a spring chicken yourself, Danzo," Hiruzen said before sighing. "Give me some time to think about it... I'll get back to you in two weeks with my decision," he said, watching the Citizen Council from the corner of his eye. The majority of them grinned triumphantly while a small handful of them looked on in sadness and disgust. Hiruzen noted who was who before turning his attention back to the rest of the room. "Now, does anyone else have anything to say?"

================== time skip six hours
==================== Fire Daimyo's mansion

"Lord Daimyo," a masked ANBU said as he knelt in front of the said man.

"Oh? What is it, Mr. ANBU?" the Fire Daimyo asked as he played with his folding fan.

"A message from the Hokage, Lord Daimyo," the masked ANBU said, holding out two scrolls bound tightly together.

"Is that so? Well, hand it over."

The ANBU did as requested before returning to his former kneeling position. The Daimyo raised an eyebrow at that before opening the thicker scroll. Soon, both of his eyebrows had shot all the way past his hair line as he read through it, an occasional swear or curse escaping his mouth hanging agape.

Once he finished reading that scroll, he turned his attention to the smaller scroll. As he read through it, he nodded occasionally, his face taking on a look of determination. Once he was finished with that scroll, he got to work writing his reply. When he was done, he looked at the ANBU kneeling before him.

"Mr. ANBU, I ask you to return to your Hokage and give him this message as my response," he said, handing the masked man the scroll.

The ANBU nodded and disappeared, leaving the Fire Daimyo to his thoughts. Oh, Danzo. You have no idea what you've gotten yourself into, he thought with a tired smile.

================== time skip ten hours
==================== Hokage's office

"Lord Third, the Daimyo's response," the ANBU said, placing the scroll from the Daimyo on Hiruzen's desk.

"Thank you, Itachi. Take the rest of the day off and spend some time with your family," Hiruzen smiled. Itachi nodded and disappeared, leaving Hiruzen to read the Daimyo's letter.

"Lord Hokage,

It brings me great displeasure to hear about the villages current situation, though I'm grateful that you and your ninja still wish to serve the Land of Fire despite your current situation. Therefore, I gladly grant you, and any you see fit to bring with you, the use of the land and ruins mentioned, as well as surrounding materials, for the new ninja village as needed.

Sincerely and best of luck,

The Fire Daimyo."

Hiruzen smiled as he read through the letter once more. It seems we've got our destination, Hiruzen thought happily as he summoned another ANBU.

"Yes, Lord Hokage?" said ANBU asked once he was kneeling in front of the desk.

"Tenzo, I need you to go to these coordinates where a squad of ANBU are waiting and prepare a meeting hall and as many houses as you can for those of us who are leaving to stay until the rest of the village can be built," Hiruzen said after activating the sound proofing seals.

Tenzo's eyes widened behind his mask. "Lord Hokage," he said. "I don't have enough chakra to be able to build enough on my own."

Hiruzen smiled. "I just said there's a team of ANBU waiting at these coordinates. You won't have to do it alone. Just make sure you don't deplete your chakra reserves too much. I just need you to do what you can."

"I understand, Lord Hokage. I'll be on my way, then," Tenzo said with a bow before turning and walking out the door.

Hiruzin sat back in his chair with a pleased smile. "Soon, Minato... Soon you and your wife will be able to rest without worry for your son's safety..."