I'm Sorry: Chapter 10

The smoke clears and the emerald floats to you. From his aerial view, Eggman witnesses what just happed. "Could this really be?" he thinks, "or was this a fluke. Surely she hasn't realized her true powers just yet... or has she?" Sonic sits up with his hand on his head. "What was that...is everyone ok?" he asks, looking around. "I...I don't know..." you reply in shock. Shadow was still lying on the ground, wheezing, trying to breathe. You turn back to him and see blood running from his chest. "Shadow!" you cry as you kneel to his side. "It's nothing..." he says, trying to calm you. "Come on, we've got to move everyone out of site until we can regroup," Sonic says, helping you get Shadow to his feet. Looking around you see that Tails and Amy have finally come to and are dragging Knuckles back into the woods. Once in the brush, you all huddle in the trunk of a hollowed out tree. "Uuuu...my head," Knuckles moans," did anyone get the number of that truck?" Sonic looks over at you. You have Shadow head on your lap." Why? Why, Shadow......you should have....sniff......let him take me....sniff......you got ....sniff......hurt," you begin to cry. You feel a hand on your cheek. "Don't cry ____. I'm fine, really. I'm the ultimate life form...hahaha...I'll heal," Shadow reinsures you. Sonic puts his hand on your shoulder. "It will be ok,____," Sonic confirms Shadow, "He will be just fine." "But still.....It was my fault...Eggman was after me. I'm so sorry......." you cover your eyes with your hands and cry. Suddenly you all hear the sounds of trees falling and crashing to the ground. Then Eggman's voice bellows over the speakers," Where are you my dear? There's no need to hide, I will find you!" You look at everyone, tears in your eyes. "Just let me turn myself over...then you can take Shadow back and get him help. No one else will get hurt again...not because of me," you plea. "NO! I won't let you do that," Sonic tells you. "Nether will I, ____." Shadow says, weakly. The others nod in agreement. "But how can we stop that monstrosity?" you ask. "It has to have a weak stop...but where?" Tails says, while scratching his head. The sound of more trees cracking echoed around you all. You think back to the battle..."Hey, when Knuckles hit the robot, some of its plating cracked off. Maybe if Tails throws some of his bombs through the cracks, it will cause it to explode." "Where?" Tails ask. "On its head, just about the right eye," you explain, "you say. " Sonic, you can zip around and distract it. Knuckles, do you think you can hit the same spot again and make the hole bigger? That way Tails has a bigger hole to aim for..." Knuckles nods. "Just as long as I don't have to use my head," he jokes. "Tails, as soon as Knuckles is out of the way, drop in the biggest bomb you have," Sonic adds. "And Sonic I.......I don't want you guys to get hurt like Shadow..." you say as you place your hand on Shadow's head, "So, please...be careful." Sonic looks at you with that cocky grin, "Remember, I'm the fastest thing alive." With a smile in return, Tails, Knuckles and Sonic head out. Amy calls out after them, "Be careful! Sonic, I will be here waiting for you!" You look down at Shadow." I'm so sorry...Shadow, it's all my fault...." you say to him. Shadow slowly opens his eyes, but only half way. "It wasn't your fault ____," he tells you, "Just don't cry anymore, I'll be fine." With that, he closes his eyes. "Shadow......oh no........please, Shadow......." you cry. Leaning forward, you lay you forehead on his. You feel Shadow squeeze your hand to let you know he was still with you. "Oh, I can see the battle..." Amy says, pointing out an opening in the back of the tree. Looking up, you also begin to watch and pray nothing else goes wrong. The robot fires after Sonic as he runs circles around its feet. While Sonic has its attention, Knuckles finds his opportunity to jump on the robot's head. With all his power, he punches the crack, causing the rest of the plating to fall off. The robot focuses on him and flicks him away. Knuckles falls off landing on his feet this time. "Go for it, Tails," he yells, getting his distance. Tails takes off but the robot locks onto him. "Oh no.....not again..." you whisper to yourself. The robot swings but, but Tails dodges. Then you see Sonic doing his spine dash. He hits in in the head causing it to swing around. With the robot off guard, Tails makes his move. He throws several bombs into the gaping hole, followed by his biggest one. "KA-BOOM!!!!" A series of explosions fire off inside the robots head. Powering down, he falls to the ground, fire shooting from the hole. Lifeless, it lay. You gently lay Shadows head down on the ground, "Amy watch him please." "Sure, _____," she says. You walk out to see if everyone is ok. You walk over to Sonic. "See, he didn't even touch me that time," he brags to you. Just then, the robot's head turns to you and Sonic. Its rays' power cells begin to light up. "Seriously, not again..." Sonic says, "Eggman must have installed a back-up system to catch us off guard." A ray of energy shoots from the robots eyes. You step in front of Sonic. He looks at you, eyes wide. "I'm NOT going to let you HURT HIM!" you yell in anger, "enough is ENOUGH!!" The emerald jumps in front of you. "SHIELD!" you yelled and the glowing shield appears again, just like last time. The beam hit but did nothing to you, but reflects back. With another big boom, the robot explodes. Parts go flying everywhere. "_____, how...how did you do that?" Sonic asks in amazement. "I will tell you later." you say. Then you hear Eggman begin to speak, "So, you managed to destroy my robot...doesn't matter. There's plenty where that came from." The air-ship begins to retreat. "...Until we meet again..." "Sonic, we need to get Shadow help, now..." you tell him. "Right," he replies. You all go back, get Shadow and head back to the plane. Sonic and Knuckles help Shadow to the plane. "I'll ride with Shadow...make sure he doesn't fall," Knuckles says, "and Sonic, you should ride with, ____...she's been through a lot." he tells him. He nods, "Yeah...I can tell she's got something on her mind." Sonic helps you onto the plane and you both take a seat. For once, Amy didn't make a fuss. She took her place seated behind Tails. He starts the engine and takes off. The flight home doesn't even bother you...your thoughts are too distant. The sun hangs low in the sky as the plane touches down outside of home. No one says a word as Shadow is helped inside, onto the couch. Amy wraps up his bandages as he lays down to rest. You look at Shadow...then quickly walk away. Slowly you go to your room, locking the door behind you. The guilt weighs heavy as you walk over and curl up on your bed. Tears fall down your cheek...everyone just lets you go. They all know that you just wanted to be alone.