And The Heart Grows Fonder Part 8

CHAPTER 7

Viktor pushed in his wife's chair as she fitted herself at the table. They had opted for the Ritz-Carlton Atlanta Grill. Viktor eased himself into the seat adjacent to his mate. The boy, Nikolai, sat across from him.

He picked up the menu. Viktor was starving, but what he craved was not served on the menu. He eyed his dark-skinned wife through lowered lids. He fancied the imprint of her swollen breasts in the simple slip dress she wore. Felt her laying on him as she had earlier in the office, like they were still there. But his lower region didn't feel as peaceful now as it had then. And he did not think the fire in his loins would quiet down until he managed to sink himself deep inside her later.

Viktor cursed the time it would take for him to have to wait until later came.

Glancing at the waiter, he then turned his attention to Nikolai. He asked him in Russian if he would like the Crispy Pork Belly Bar-B-Que. Before the boy could answer, he repeated the request to the waiter, opting out of the starter for the three of them.

Audrianna cut him off. "Don't you think you should let him decide for himself?"

Viktor leaned closer to her, resting his elbows on the table. "Audrey, the boy barely speaks a word of English, let alone can he read the menu. No one turns down meat."

Audrey was indignant. "You should explain it to him and let him decide. How else is he going to learn?"

Viktor snorted. "Save the tedious learning experiences for when I am not here."

Pouting, Audrianna turned her attention to Nikolai. Viktor had to admit the boy looked tense, sitting stick straight with his head buried in the menu, trying not to look confused. Viktor rested his chin on steeple fingers, his eyes on Nikolai, contemplating the boy and his circumstances.

It would take a year of learning English before he could be enrolled in the local private school.

Audrianna reached over and further explained the menu choice Viktor had made for him. She fiddled with his hair, combing her fingers through the dark strands. She brushed some imaginary lint off his shoulder. She caressed his baby face cheeks, speaking to him soothingly until he turned to her and smiled.

Finally, not being able to stand it any longer, Viktor released a low growl that better matched the sound of his inner Were-Bear than a human imitation.

God help him, she was driving him mad with jealously.

Audrianna glanced at him questioningly. Panicked, Viktor glanced the other way. He reached for the back of his neck and massaged his tight muscles. He felt the strain in his shoulder blades from the unhampered release. He took a few breaths to calm his craving. The name that referenced the feeling Weres often felt for their mates.

The craving left Weres stymied, crippled, illogical. Their only concern being for the one they loved. It clouded their thinking with uncommon jealousies towards others who would unwittingly grab the attention of, or fondness for, their mates. In this case, it was Audrianna showing tenderness towards an eleven year old that hit Viktor right in the gut. Viktor tried to tamp down the unwanted feeling.

Audrianna bestowed a radiant smile upon Nikolai and Viktor nearly blanched. Unable to prevent the knife in his gut from twisting any deeper, his hand shot out. He grabbed Audrianna by her forearm and squeezed. His hand travelled down her arm to her hand and he squeezed again.

She gave him a funny look and said, "Hi."

So simple, but God, she was looking at him with such adoration that his heart skipped a beat. He grinned at her sappily.