The Cards... or some earthquake that's made into more than it really is

I was at Grandma Nut's house. I had knocked down a little bit of her porch and was eating it with content.

"Oh, Kathryn, you're back!" she cheerily smiled, even though I had damaged her property. And then did it again due to hunger. "So, how was Plumpy?"

"Uh, he was fine. Now-" I was interrupted by the clouds and sky being drama queens and turning into a churning mix of dark greys. I rolled my eyes. "Back to business-"

This time I was interrupted by a gasp, and Grandma Nut dragging me by the collar inside. She left me hanging with a flood of questions as she ran off "to get something," she murmured. I tapped my foot impatiently, and looked out the window. The sky had gotten a bit darker in some places. Lightning struck and-I admit it-I wanted to throw up.

Suddenly, Grandma Nut rushed back in. "Oh, Kathryn! Calm down, it's alright..." I don't know if I looked uncalmed, but I was perfectly fine. She was holding a long, metal contraption. She saw me staring at it and said "Oh, this? It's nothing. Just need to attatch it to this, and do a few things...." She fiddled with knobs and adjusters on the contraption, and a strange power box I hadn't noticed before. She pushed one final button on the power box, and then closed her eyes....

That was it. She had gone into some sleep of sorts, or maybe a deep trance. But my worried mumblings had no avail. I wasn't acting myself. I felt horrible, sickly, like I was on the verge of death.

The ground shook. More of the porch broke, but I didn't think of eating it. I held on tight to a railing for the stairs. It became worse and worse, I became convinced that I would throw up-maybe eating that nut brittle wasn't a good idea-

It all stopped with a jolt. Dizzily, I looked up and out the window. Nothing but clear blue skies.  But... something on the porch. An envelope, cleanly packaged, sitting by the nut brittle. Ready to be opened. Man, everything here was too cheery for me.

I took a glance at petrified Mrs. Nut. She was still still as she ever will be, still being still... still. I yawned and had opened the door to go outside when-

"Oh, Kathryn! Don't leave so soon!" Jumpscares, man. Jumpscares.

"What now?" Grandma Nut had started moving again, and the contraption had vanished. She acted as if nothing had happened, which I think she thought to be the truth.

"Well, we should look at the card together."

"Yeah! .... or not." I walked out the door to feel a hand grip my collar.

"Togetherness is fun." Her voie became stern. I suddenly wondered if this weirdo was going to rape me or something. Nonetheless, I walked out and picked up the letter, started to walk back and.... turned on my heel, running off. As I ran in large circles, being careful not to "cheat" and step on a tile, I tore open the envelope and saw that it had a green square on it. Trying to remember the rules of the game, I decided to just jump on the nearest green tile from Gramma Nut's house... which, lucky me, was right by the entrance.

But then I noticed that Angela had gotten good cards and was actually quite close to me. Sadly close enough to hear "Look who's in front now..."

I hope she heard my little "Still me actually."