Four: The War

Fires were spreading, their fiery heat feeding off the pollution in the air and the trees we had tried so desperately to save. Buildings were falling all over, crushing the people inside and outside. I knew it was wrong, but I stood gazing in wonder at what our world had come to. The sky was black with smoke threatening to devour any hope we had of seeing the sun again. People everywhere were fighting. People I knew and people I didn't know. Friends and foes. Men and women. They all looked the same now. Well, all except for one. Ever since the war had broken out, we had agreed to wear the same armour so the other side wouldn't know what species they were hitting. But Adaya Vanni swore she was a better fighter with her "lucky robes" so we let her wear them. And it was the robes that drew my eyes to her then. I saw her white robes swaying at her feet and dark hair whipping around her face as she tilted her back to cast a fatal blow. I watched as the soldier in front of her screamed in agony and then disintegrated into thin air. Adaya opened her eyes briefly and caught my gaze. She gave me a smile that seemed to beckon me over, so I ran to her side to join in the fight.

Fighting next to Adaya was like fighting next to a wild animal. She was smart and fast, but you couldn't communicate and you never knew what she would do next. She spun and casted spells in every direction until something happened. It felt like slow motion as I watched a sword pierce her skin. For someone so powerful, she collapsed almost immediately. As though she was done for the moment the sword touched her bare skin. Knowing what I must do, I scooped her up into my arms and ran for the medical tent. Of course, I knew we wouldn't get there in time. She already looked dead.

"W-what's your...your name?" She whispered into my ear. I was so shocked at her talking that I almost dropped her, but luckily I was able to maintain my composure and answer.

"Alris Tawen," I said calmly.

"Alris," she repeated. Then she smiled and closed her eyes. Her body glowed softly before she disappeared from my arms and I knew she was gone forever.