Chapter 5: The Evil plan

"Mom, why are you so paranoid?" I asked, watching her move from the door to the window, as though a bomb was going to befall us any minute.

   "I made a mistake," she said, barely over a whisper, "but I'm going to fix it. No matter what the cost is."

   I inspected her as she pulled a handgun from her pantie drawer. She loaded it and and looked my in the eye when she said, "Megan, you might not see me again, but you'll be safe."

   All I did was nod, my expression blank. Why would she do this?  My whole life I knew she would give up everything to keep me safe. I wanted to be like her; strong, confident, and willing. But sometimes I wondered what she really did. I learned not to bother to question her actions, she'd always promised me that  she would give me answers soon. I could feel in the pit of my stomach that answers were coming.

   "I'll do it," I blurted out, making her stop mid-stride to the door, "Whatever crazy thing your going to do, I can do it. Just tell me what's going on and maybe I can help. No, I know I can help."

   Mom sighed, her hand gripping the door knob, "I've been work for the US Spies facility for over 10 years and your dad is the boss of the facility. I can't tell you details, but next week you'll be taken to the facility to see everything."

   "If we come out of here alive," I said bluntly. I was only 18 years old, but my intelligence was beyond my age. I saw the strange masked men barge into the house and easily related it to mom's secret. We were now trapped in her and dad's bedroom and the men were silently waiting for us to come out. Something told me they were ready to wait for days.

   "When you come out alive," she corrected me, "Grab the phone and call your dad, Megan. Tell him they're here."

   I didn't like the way she said 'you' and not 'we'. 

   I grabbed the phone and dialed dad's number, which I knew by heart. I put the phone to my ear and waited while the phone rang.

   "Hello?" My dad's voice cackled on the other end.

   "Dad, we need help," I immediately said without a greeting, "there's a bunch of weird guys who crashed into our house, and you have to come and help us."

   "Everything will be OK," he said, trying to sooth me, "I'll be on my way right now. Where are you guys now?"

   "Mom's and your bedroom. Mom has a gun a-and-, "  It was becoming harder to breath for me.

   "Calm down, Megan. Everything will be OK," he kept saying.

   My mom focused on the door and window and I watched her move intently as my dad kept trying to reassure me. It was impossible to notice the man that was creeping from the bathroom with a gun lodged in his hand. He moved so silently that neither me or mom heard him till his toe touched the carpet.

   My mom spun around at him with wild eyes but it was too late. He had a sick grin on his face when he clicked his gun and the bullet pierced straight through her chest.