Chapter 1 - Horizon

Author's POV

He stared up at the masses of stone. Heaved together by an unknown force through dawn to dusk. Black-shadowed ivy clinging to the harsh grey surface, edging its way up the face and grasping to every crack and crevice.

Much like the ivy, Newt had tried to cling to this harsh world of grey known as the glade for as long as he could remember. Being second in command laid daunting tasks on him and his second duty of being a runner cast a heavy stone onto his back. It clung to him like the blackness of the void of his mind. Sucking the life away from him day by day.

He cast his thoughts away as the masses of heavy stone began to creak and groan underneath the weight of themselves. The echoing sound of rock screeching against metal should have made him deaf. Not that he noticed, the numbing of his mind was already too dull. He flicked his gaze to the early streaks of pink piercing the dark night sky, watching as the break of day pushed away the stars. He couldn't help but admire them as his mouth twitched into the slightest of a smile, He had to admit it was a rare sight to see.

Newt's conscience snapped him back to reality as he realized the eerie silence that had signified the ending of concrete doors opening. Cursing under his breath, Newt stared with dull eyes into the dark, eerie corridor lined by thick walls of ivy.

'This is not the time to daydream..'

He thought as he inhaled deeply. He knew he'd let precious time escape him, Minho and the others would wonder where he was after the morning had passed. He hadn't much time. Newt closed his eyes and took one last glance at the beautiful dawning sky, before he lurched into the darkness. Shadows engulfing his slender, pale frame.