Chapter 2 - Stone

Newt's POV

Running. I'm running. So fast I can barely breathe. Blurry.

Why is my vision blurry?

Why can't I see clear?

I lift a hand to wipe my eyes. I'm stumbling all over the place and I realize I'm crying. I'm a sobbing mess. Stumbling and staggering all over the place. I'm reaching a crossroads. My mind goes blank and I can't remember which way to go. I can't stop myself and slam into the wall.

I stop myself, Pounding my fist into the cool unforgiving stone. I rest my forehead against the towering walls and let out a low, defeated sob. I look down and watch my tears drip from my skin to the dirty, leaf strewn floor. I turn around and place my back to the grey slab, sinking into the dust. Hoping, somehow it would swallow me up. I rest my head in my hot sticky arms and sob even harder.
I am hopelessly lost . . .

Minho's POV

I stare up at the sun rising into the sky. A subtle heat sets on the glade and I glance down at my wrist-watch.

9:55

A look of concern washes over my face as I signal the small group or runners gathered behind me. Ben glances up at me with a look of confusion in his eyes.

"Shouldn't we wait for Newt ?..."

I shrug my shoulders, and cover up my emotions with a sly grin
.
"You know what he's like, he's probably sketching something"

Ben chuckles and stands up along with the rest of the group. We make up about 5 altogether, running in pairs although I prefer to go alone. We head across the lush grass of the glade at a brisk pace. No one really pays attention to us, they expect us to do our duties and we expect them to do theirs. Really we work in unison. Were just a really big family.

That greenie, Chuck, gives us a wave with his round, plump fave full of life. I return his hearty gaze with a small nod and turn my head back to the wall. I slow my pace as I come beneath the large cool shadows cast off the huge towers of concrete. I glance nervously at my watch again.

10:05

'Newt should have been here half an hour ago'

I think as I stare absently into the dimly lit corridor. Science envelopes our small group and we wait.

'Come on Newt'