Chapter 6

Rolling onto her back, she looked up into his blue eyes as they turned red, a smile crossing her face. She was thin again, not five months pregnant, and he was here. Derek was actually here. He gently caressed the side of her face, watching his fingers touch her porcelain skin, and the moonlight glinted off of his wolf eyes. The grass was soft beneath her back, and the night breeze blew over them both as they lay in their secret spot deep in the forest surrounding Beacon Hills.

"I've missed you," she whispered, her lips brushing his as he teased her, refusing to kiss her and making her want it even more.

"I never left," his gruff voice answered, his brow drawing down slightly.

He leaned down, finally kissing her and sending rolling waves of heat through her body at his touch. His fingers ran down her side, slipping into her underwear and petting her until she gasped with pleasure. Throwing her head back as vibrations of bliss radiated through her from her waist, she moaned and looked into his heated gaze. She kissed him, her body thrilling from the feel of him, and she pushed her underwear down, opening herself to him as she had so many times before. He was inside of her before she could beg him, and she cried out, indulging in every inch of him. They moved as one, pressing the cool grass down around them as sweat beaded on their bodies. She began to climax...

And she woke up with a gasp, clutching the blankets around her petite frame. Damn pregnancy hormones, she thought to herself with a disappointed frownIf she couldn't have Derek in her real life, couldn't she just have one night with him in her dreams?

Her eyes flitted open, and she rolled over, the blankets gathered around her in a heap as she'd tossed and turned during her erotic dream. A dark silhouette crowded the window, and she instantly recognized him. She must still be dreaming. Derek wasn't here.

She didn't fully believe she was awake until he shifted, standing from the windowsill and gliding to her bedside, sitting next to her. Dragging herself up onto one elbow, she reached for him, still not able to comprehend how he could be here. He hated her. Only her dreams allowed her to have him again, and even then it was short-lived and unsatisfying.

"Derek...?" she asked, her hand going toward his face and touching the familiar stubble on his cheek. "It's you... it's really you." Her throat tightened with emotion, and she felt tears of happiness forming in her eyes.

"It's really me," he replied in his rough voice, smiling slightly.

"Oh, Derek!" she exclaimed in a whisper, reaching for him. She dove into his arms, and he hugged her against his chest, planting a soft kiss on the top of her mussed hair. She could stay like this forever and never let him go. She didn't even want to ask him why he'd left, or why he'd returned, she just wanted to smell his familiar scent and feel his arms around her.

"Lydia... I'm so sorry," he apologized finally, gently pushing her away so he could look into her eyes. Oh, how he had missed those green eyes. A tear rolled down her cheek, and he brushed it away with his thumb, his heart breaking to see her cry.

"I know why you left; you don't have to be sorry," she whispered fervently, her hands caressing his face as if she was still proving to herself that he was real and not a figment of her imagination.

"I know, I know," he soothed her, pulling her to him once more and kissing her this time. It was a sweet, fervent kiss, and she melted into his arms. The feel of her against him, the sound of her heartbeat rapid and excited in his ears, it was all more than he could have wished for. Releasing her lips and resting his forehead against hers, he sighed.

"Why don't you hate me?" he asked honestly, opening his eyes and looking into hers. Lydia smiled a small, sweet smile, her hand grabbing his and squeezing slightly.