Past Lovers. 14

Sorry guys I typed most of this on phone, while on a ferry to Boston, so there might be some typos or format problems. Ill fix it when I can get to a computer but I hope y'all like it otherwise!! Please leave your love!!!

But actually, I really really really need some comments and feedback. Cause I'm getting stuck again and you guys are the only ones who can help.

***

Hayden and I gazed up at the towering brownstone from the bottom of the steps.

She was feeling the same anxiety as I was. Neither of us knew what was awaiting us. There was the possibility that this night was going to be a hit...but there was also the possibility of disaster striking.

"Ready when you are," I murmured to her.

She let out a big sigh. "I need another minute."

"Take your time," I replied, secretly grateful for her procrastination.

Our excitement had faded. Suddenly, the pestering thoughts were in the back of my mind. The questions I would be asked, the embarrassing answers I would have to give. And what if someone knew who I was? How would we explain our arrangement?

"It's now or never," she finally said. "Might as well get it over with."

I grabbed her hand, gave it a squeeze, and led her up the stairs. We buzzed the button, three times, before we were given access.

Hayden showed the way. The door to apartment 28C was propped open. The hosts obviously weren't concerned with security or strangers.

Music and a choir of voices filled my ears, as the stench of stale liquor and savory chicken wafted into my nostrils.

All sorts of characters were present here. Women in extravagant costumes -- pearls and diamonds cladding their necks -- and men in proper suits, with their hair slicked back and cigars in their hands.

Of course, everyone was a stranger to me. But apparently, the same applied to Hayden, as I watched her search for a familiar face.

"I don't know anyone here," she admitted after a few minutes. "Whatever, let's get drinks."

Pushing our way around, we found the booze cart next to the kitchen, where her boss' wife was chopping away.

Before Hayden could even fill up her glass, she was bombarded.

"Hayden, darling, how good to see you," the woman exclaimed, throwing her arms around Hayden, despite the sharp knife in her hand.

Hayden looked absolutely terrified, and I couldn't help but chuckle a little as I filled my glass.

"Hi Marion," said Hayden, slightly intimidated. "The place looks great."

Marion dragged Hayden with her to the kitchen, leaving me awkwardly dangling by myself by the liquor. A dangerous place for me to be.

It wasn't long until a drunk business man approached me. The peculiar conversation began when he asked me for my whiskey recommendation, something I was more than happy to help him with.

"Excellent taste, musky yet smooth," he remarked, after tasting the Jameson I offered. "Joe Connolly, by the way," he offered me his right hand.

Shaking his hand firmly, I replied, "Chase Levine."

"So how'd you end up here? How do you know the Kelleys?"

"My friend..." That title felt strange to say. "Hayden, works with Mr. Kelley."

"Ah," Joe stroked his chin. "Hayden is a great girl. Smart girl too. Is Jared here too?"

I was hoping I wouldn't have to answer any questions like that. It wasn't my place to talk about their relationship. So I tried to avoid it as well as I could.

"No, Jared isn't here tonight," I vaguely replied.

"Oh well," he shrugged, as he took another gulp. "Come, I'll introduce you to some of the boys."

I nodded, as I quickly peeked into the kitchen. Hayden seemed to be okay, but I decided to quickly give her a warning.

"Excuse me," I said as I interrupted her conversation with Marion. "Some guy you work with, Joe, is gonna show me around."

Hayden brightened up. "I'll come with you! I definitely should say hi," she turned to Marion. "It was lovely catching up, I'll see you around the party."

Her face went sour as soon as she turned her back.

Leaning in my ear, she whispered, "Marion is a completely nut job. Thanks for saving me."

"No problem," I chuckled, as I followed her into the parlor.

Joe was already in the middle of an epic story when we caught up to him. He was entertaining a crowd of six with his tale of deep sea fishing in Nantucket.

At the end, he turned to us and pulled Hayden into a warm hug.

"How's it going, sport?"

Hayden shrugged. "Not too shabby."

"So I was asking Chase...where's Jared?"

Hayden's cheeks turn a bright tomato red. "I guess you're gonna be the first to know," she took a deep breath. "Jared and I split up about two weeks ago."

Joe's mouth dropped slightly, but he quickly pulled himself together. "Aw that's too bad. Well you're a great girl, I'm sure you'll find someone better in no time." His piercing brown eyes met mine. After a small smirk, I looked away.

Joe was the only person Hayden told that night. I didn't quite understand why she trusted him, or why she held the truth back. But whatever her reasons, I was simply there to support her.

Of course, her inadequate response of "he's not here tonight" caught up to her when one of her co-workers pointed to the lean man in the corner of the living room, drinking his scotch, conversing with a few others.

"Yes, he is," said the co-worker.