six | screams

Clara was traumatized and infuriated. Being held hostage while some robbers escaped with large envelope of her cash was enough to go through, she didn't want to be interrogated about it. No, she didn't know what the other robbers that got away with her money looked like, she had been crying her eyes out. No, she didn't see what direction they went, she was busy being dragged away as a hostage. Clara was going to scream if she got asked one more question when finally, a police officer told her she was free to go. 

"Hey, Clara, are you okay?" Clara turned around to see Barry walking up to her. "Wait, sorry, that was a stupid question, of course you're not okay. Do you want me to walk you home?" 

"Please." Her voice was weak, barely above a whisper. Then, she spoke up a little to ask, "What are you doing here? Are you alright?" 

"Oh, yeah," Barry shrugged. "I'm the forensic scientist for the CCPD. It's my job to be here." 

"Oh, you shouldn't leave to walk me home then," she said quickly. "It's fine." 

"No, no, its okay. My work here is done. I'm headed home anyways, so I'll literally be going the exact same way." He offered her a small smile. 

"Thanks a lot, Barry," Clara returned the smile. 

Barry waved down a cab, and they climbed into the back seat together. Clara stayed quiet. Barry didn't push her to talk, and she was exceedingly grateful for that. Even in the silence, just Barry's presence calmed her down. She glanced up at Barry a few times, only to notice him looking away quickly. She felt her cheeks heat up. She most certainly looked like a train wreck right now. When the cab pulled up to their apartment building, Barry handed the driver a few bills as Clara stepped out. 

"Let me pay for some of it," she insisted, temporarily forgetting her wallet had been emptied and the robbers walked away with her cash. 

"No, no," Barry shook his head. "You have enough on your plate right now, let me take care of it. You just relax." Clara sighed in defeat. Barry got out of the cab and they walked into the building together. This time, they took the elevator up to the sixth floor.

"Do you want to come in for pizza?" Barry asked as they reached their doors. "I promise I won't burn it this time." She let out a short laugh.

"I really shouldn't," she apologized. "You've already done so much for me tonight, and just since I've moved here in general. I should be the one making you dinner." 

"No, that's ridiculous," Barry casually brushed her comment off. "I wouldn't expect that from you after what you just went through. And besides, I just like helping people, I don't need anything in return. It would make me happy to know that you'r being taken care of after something like this." 

"Are you absolutely sure you want to do this for me?" 

"Well, I'm going to eat some of the pizza myself, but yes, I am sure." 

"Then I will accept your offer for pizza," Clara gave in, but smiled. Barry opened his door and let her in. 

"Pepperoni, cheese, sausage, or supreme?" Barry asked as he opened his freezer. 

"Pepperoni, please," she responded, but then added, "Only if that's what you want." 

"It would't be setting in my freezer if I didn't want it," Barry assured her as he pulled out the pizza. He turned on the oven then asked, "Do you want anything to drink?" 

"Water is fine, thank you." Barry got out two glasses and filled them with water, then slid one across the counter where she was sitting. 

"So how is Central City?" He asked. "Well, besides today." 

"Cold," Clara responded. "But I guess that would be anywhere in the winter. Its been nice so far. I'm a lab tech at Mercury Labs, so that's been interesting." The thought of her job made her mind swirl. It wasn't going to be enough, especially after tonight.

"That's impressive," he said, but his voice seemed far away, like she was hearing him underwater. Clara felt tears welling up in her eyes, threatening to spill over in a matter of seconds. Reality came crashing down. She had lost months worth of hard work tonight. Why had she been so stupid? She shouldn't have carried that much cash with her to open up an account at the bank. She should have made several small deposits. The robbers had gotten away with her hard earned money. With the security deposit on top of a month's worth of rent due soon, she suddenly wasn't sure how she was going to manage. Her job at Mercury Labs was demanding, but she would need a second, maybe even third job to make up for her loss tonight. 

"Hey, you alright?" Barry's voice cut through her overwhelming thoughts. 

"Sorry," Clara shook her head, trying to rid herself of her own thoughts. 

"So, what's your favorite TV show?" Barry questioned randomly, seeing that he needed to change the subject.

"Breaking Bad," Clara answered without hesitation.

"Really?" Barry laughed. "Wouldn't have guessed." 

"Its crazy to see what people do to pay a few medical bills." 

"Yeah, I guess so." 

The over timer dinged, and Barry pulled the pizza out. He sat down next to her after he dished out the pizza and they continued talking about TV shows, then on to movies and books. Clara was so glad for the distraction.

 Long after they finished eating, Clara finally said goodbye, and went home next door. It was getting late, but Clara didn't feel like sleeping yet. She put in one of her favorite horror movies and curled up on the couch with a mountain of pillows and blankets. Clara loved scary movies. They were so intriguing. The music and sound effects were especially captivating. She loved how certain notes could send shivers up her spine. 

Clara was so engrossed in the movie she almost didn't hear the knock at her door about halfway through the movie. She quickly paused it and stood up slowly. She tiptoed across the floor, grabbing a wooden rolling pin from the kitchen counter as she passed by, not sure who or what to expect at the door. She crept up to the door and looked through the peep hole. Barry was standing outside, looking tired and worried. Clara let out a sigh of relief and set the rolling pin down.

"What's up?" She said, answering the door.

"Um, I heard you scream, and I wanted to make sure everything was okay?" Barry said uncertainly, his eyebrows furrowed together. 

"Oh my gosh!" Clara exclaimed with wide eyes. Then she burst into giggles. "I was watching a scary movie just to get my mind off things because, well, you know, and I must have screamed without noticing." 

"Oh," Barry sighed, a wave relief washing over his features. "That's good to hear."

"Hey," Clara said, right as Barry turned to leave, "I know this probably sounds really stupid, and I really shouldn't ask you to do anything else for me, like, every, and you live right next door so it really doesn't matter because you're so close anyways, but I just- well, after everything that happened tonight, I'm really not-" Clara paused and took a deep breath. "Would you mind staying and watching the rest of the movie with me?" 

"No, of course not," Barry said softly.

"Thanks." 

"And, Clara, I don't blame you for being scared. You had a gun held to you head tonight. I would honestly be more worried if you were totally normal right now." 

"Yeah," Clara breathed. 

They sat on opposite sides of the couch, but Clara was glad for the company. She didn't feel like being alone. Plus, it was super entertaining to hear Barry curse under his breath every time something popped out. She didn't make it to the end before falling asleep. In the morning, she woke up on an empty couch, but her head was propped up on a pillow she didn't think had been there when she had fallen asleep.