Chapter 1-Missing

It had been a year now. A year of running. It was the year I lost everything; my family, my friends, my home...everything-well, not family, that had been taken from me long ago. And now- Now i was left with the anger, the desperate desire for revenge..

"Kat." hissed Lillia."Kat, please wake-up."

I opened my eyes, everything was blurred. I rubbed them hastily and looked around to face Lil.

"What?" I complained wearily.

I sat up, getting a clear look at her face. The fear. Knowing the others weren't back-especially Daniel in this case; made Lil worried; and me for that matter. I knew what was coming, I knew what she was about to say... I mean I can't blame her for how she felt, last time something like this happened it was when she lost her ex-boyfriend- who betrayed her-betrayed us. She wasn't the only one who had to deal with this kind of pain. It tore me apart every second i thought about it; I knew how hard she tried to push all the complications aside and focus on the team and her current life, but sometimes, for her especially, it was too much to bear.

" Oh god. Lil relax, it's fine trust me. They will come-"

" No Kat. No they won't. This is how it started last time and I can't stand the thought of that happening again. I thought of all people maybe you would understand. What happened last time, last year on January 12th. Exactly 3 days before your-"

I stopped listening. She knew, that was the day. The day we both lost everything we loved. I understood that she held back that secret, making sure she told only certain people- But sometimes she took it too far- and it hurt me then, it hadn't hurt me like that for a while; i didn't have to concentrate on the ugly truth when i was around her,so that's why i stopped listening.Instead I lied down and looked up at the stars, taking my mind off the subject completely, until i slowly fell into an awful nightmare...

Every year on January 12th, the celebration started. It as the last of The Three Events. The kingdom reunited once again for the 16th year. After talking to the locals and having as much as possible and having a great day out so far, I sat down at the lake followed by Isabella, Jennifer, Lillia and then finally Lucas. I stared across the water blankly. He should of been there, he always was. I turned my head to Isabella and Lucas sat by each other, holding hands. Everyone agreed they were adorable together, it made me smile. On my other side was Lillia and Jennifer both laughing. I knew that for many people this was one of there favourite times of the year. Seeing as i was happier now i lied down on the hill letting the early spring breeze cool me. I smiled watching the sun set, thinking about him non-stop. Until I was interrupted ...

I woke up startled. My heart sped, staying silent reaching for my knife, it was my immediate reaction. Lillia was beside me. I sat up and tried to calm my breathing. A little while later hearing suspicious noises coming from the outside of The Clearing, I cautiously looked around, my breathing heavy. Evie. She was back, Lucas must have been too. I must have been asleep when they returned. The noises started to get louder. They were coming close. Lillia murmured something and rolled into me. She woke.

"Shh.." I whispered quietly putting my hand over her mouth. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, a puzzled look spread onto her face. The noises started again. Realising what was going on, she nodded, reaching for her knife.

We slowly looked around and stood up almost back-to-back until we left our tent. There was only one entrance to the clearing. I grabbed Lillia's arm, signalling for her to slow down, also to be careful and then nodded towards the entrance. We then swiftly moved into position, covering either side of the entrance bracing ourselves for what was coming. The leaves started to rustle again. We weren't prepared for what was coming next.

Suddenly Daniel burst through the foliage followed swiftly by Bethany. I sighed. I was relieved they were finally back, but i couldn't help but feel angry that they hadn't come back sooner.

" Oh my god!" Lil gasped blissfully throwing herself at Daniel, who embraced her and started apologetically whispering in her ear. After a while of Beth questioning me about what we had been doing, asking if Lucas and Evie had made it back safely and the non-stop drooling from Lillia I snapped.

"Where the hell have you been guys, we said meet at sundown and not a moment later, you know it's starting to get dangerous now that it's coming close to The Events and now it's, like, 4 A.M." I hissed, getting nothing in response. Daniel and Beth started glancing at each other suspiciously,"Go on then, feel free to explain yourselves, unless it takes 7 hours longer."

I made sure to put emphasis on that last line, but felt guilty for snapping at them as soon as the words left my mouth.

" We found out some news Kat," Beth spoke up, "We were in Aphiem doing what you asked- trying to find out information about this years remembrance anniversary for your mo-"

"Yes I know what you were doing, please get to the point." I hissed at them trying to fight back the raging fire inside of me. Focus Kat. Even though it was tempting to break down, I didn't have time to feel sorry for myself.

"Um... Right, so we were in Apheim," Bethany started again, whilst I nodded along with the words she said."We were talking to some of the townspeople on the edge of the city, making sure we weren't too close to the center of the city or the walls surrounding.

"OK..."

" As usual we asked about The Third Event this year. No-one knew much about it, they said how there hadn't been the announcement on what would be going on yet. Some townspeople were worried the event wouldn't even be going on..."

Immediately a bad feeling rose to my stomach, I couldn't remember anything good about that family. They were sick. They made me feel sick, they were cruel, menacing. What could they possibly do right for Apheim. And no wonder they were worried The Third Event wouldn't take place, it was the last of The Events, the biggest and the first of the year..

"That doesn't explain why you were gone so long." I questioned them.

" Yeah. Well i was about to get to that bit... We asked a man about it; he said he might know someone who could help us find information. That's why we were gone so long- The only way to find out was if we went at night, he said it wasn't safe during daylight."

" So you went.." I muttered.

She told us about the route and where they were taken. As soon as the main guards finished there duty they had to run out the side entrance from Aphiem. He took them down the only path to Eethin and took the long route through the west side of Aston Forest. And then me, being in the mood i was in, complained about why they didn't take the quicker route through the other half of Eethin-The ruins, then learning they were also inhabited by Remainders. Remainders were harsh. They had been the people that fell alongside Eethin and Aston. They were left with nothing, so fighting aimlessly was how they survived. There are not as many, but of course they were all mad, meaning Daniel and Beth may have died along the way. So eventually, they ended up at my Step-sisters hometown- Long-dale cove. The main cliffs of the huge island. Our kingdom shared those cliffs with the third kingdom. The second Kingdom was below Skylock falls, the lowest town in the area. They got the information, gave there thanks to Andrew, the man that helped them, and took the long journey home.

Then they got to the part when they told me what they had found out over in Long-dale cove. Everything was suspicious already, and then it just continued to go down hill.

"Look everything seems weird to us because..." She slowed down as she spoke and hesitated before saying "Well.. It's Aria.."

So what did you think of the chapter.. You now know about The Third Event, but do you know why Kat is so touchy on the subject, and then there is Aria... Keep reading the next few chapters and more things will become clear. I know this might be a little vague however over the course of the book you will start to find out more and more!

So, that was the first chapter of Outsiders, what are your thoughts about the chapter and the characters so far, I would love the feedback. Also if you liked the book please do vote.. :)