Chapter 5

She was aware of a feeling of warmth in her bed that hadn't been there before. It took her mere moments to recall the events of the past day. It was hard for to describe her feelings about Steve and his new team. It wasn't jealousy, but something similar. She was happy for Steve, his new team seemed to care for him. She just wished she was with him too. But they had managed to be torn apart. They weren't even supposed to be together now, it was just an accident that he ended up here.

She moved closer towards Steve. The early morning sun filtered through the curtains and gave the room a beautiful glow. Before the war, Peggy had never been an early morning person, one of the many things her mother hated about her. But that didn't matter now. She would live in the moment and not look back. She moved closer to him and he wrapped his arm around her, pulling her even closer. Something felt warm in her chest. She had only felt this feeling once before while at boarding school with a beautiful brunette. She didn't want to think of the despair that would come from this. She refused to say the words to herself.

"Good morning," Steve whispered in her ear as if they were the only two people in the world. It would have been so much easier that way.

"Hello," Peggy replied as she turned over to face him.

His smile was enough to make Peggy grin back. Their moments of peace were over when Steve slid out of bed to take a shower.

Peggy rustled in her dresser, for some sort of men's clothing to leave for him. Of course, this was the one bedroom that she had thrown Howard's stuff out of. With a promise to Steve, she slipped out of her room to find Howard. She was certain he would have clothing that would fit Steve. This is where he had intended to bring Steve after he found him. It was bitter irony at this point.

Her bare feet made no noise as she padded down the hallway towards Howard's room. There were no noises in the house other than the ticking clock. It must have been earlier than she first assumed. Then, she heard a noise. A rustle came from down the stairs. She rolled her eyes and grabbed the nearest vase and began prowling down the stairs and into the kitchen.

For a moment she didn't recognize the tall man cooking breakfast, and then he turned around.

"Mr. Jarvis!" Peggy grinned. "It's a pleasure to see you today. Did you not fly back with Howard?"

She set the vase down on the table and moved across the kitchen. He eyed her state of undress, but simply hugged her in response.

"It's been a while, Agent Carter. How have things been going? I flew down with Howard, but visited my wife last night. I hadn't seen Anna in weeks. I certainly hope you don't mind."

"Howard hasn't told you?"

The look Jarvis gave her was nearly comic. He rolled his eyes and sighed loudly. He then returned to making his pancakes.

"Do you believe in time travel, Mr. Jarvis? I certainly didn't. But you wouldn't believe—"

Steve entered the room in nothing but a white towel wrapped around his waist. He blinked in surprise at Jarvis, but simply addressed Peggy by asking, "Hey! You find any clothes? I could probably borrow some from Clint if I need to. He has some extra in his bag."

She hadn't really thought about Clint's over sized duffle bag he had been carrying. She wondered what the contents were. She trusted Steve, just not his friends. Jarvis's expression caused Peggy to softly laugh. His state of undressed had shocked her just as much as it had Jarvis. Honestly, it was more humorous to her that Jarvis's face had started to turn beet red.

Stepping forward, Steve smiled innocently and raised his hand to Jarvis.

"Steve Rogers," he said.