Chapter 15

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a couple of weeks. I had some family problems. Anyway, I'm leaving for boot camp in a couple of hours. I'll be home in 10 weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Sunday, my mother picked me up from Aysha's. We went to church and she told me that she agreed to talk to Melinda's mother on Friday after school.

Monday was unusually normal. No strange looks or anything. No whispers in the hallway.

Tuesday, however, was a completely different story.

I got off the bus and walked into the school. A few people cast strange looks. I didn't think too much of them until I got to my locker. I was taking my books out when I noticed a group of girls huddled and whispering. One of the girls looked over her shoulder at me then continued whispering. She wasn't very good with that whole inconspicuous thing.

I shut my locker and started to walk to homeroom. "Dyke!" one of the girls from the group "coughed" as I walked by. Then it hit me. Melinda. It got around.

Homeroom wasn't any easier. More whispers and looks. It was like being gay was this unheard of plague. Then again, I was in NowhereChristianville, South Carolina. 

Right before announcements began, one of the people whispering had the guts to approach me. "Hi," he said.

"Hi?" I responded.

"Melinda Wincock says you and Aysha Polands are together. Like together-together. Is it true?"

"That's none of your business."

"Come on. Tell me."

"Go away!" I snapped.

He held up his hands in defense and backed away. I watched him walk back to his friends and shrug his shoulders.

The rest of the morning was like that. Stares. Whispers. Questions. Looks. After a while, I just started to ignore it.

In Government, I suppose Mr. Cutch heard the rumors and decided today was the best day to do a lesson on state rights. Mainly, the right of the States to individually define marriage.

"...so states have the right to regulate marriage. Marriage is a state right, not federal," he said.

I raised my hand. "So if marriage is a state thing, then how come interracial marriage cannot be banned in any state? A recent poll showed the majority of Mississippians would like to forbid interracial marriage. So, wouldn't marriage be a shared right?" I asked.

"Well..." Mr. Cutch started.

"Why do all you faggots have to push your 'marriage' on us in unrelated subjects? We don't want to hear about it," a girl said.

"I'm not a faggot and I think it's related. Mr. Cutch is doing a lesson on state rights and he mentioned marriage. Chill," I defended.

"Obviously you are a faggot if you're kissing Aysha Polands," she spat.

"My personal life is none of your.." I started.

"Enough!" Mr. Cutch said. "In regards to your question..."

The bell rang and cut him off. I wasn't going to stick around to hear what he had to say. I went straight to lunch. I sat in my usual spot.

I ate as quickly as I could to avoid people when I got up to throw out lunch. I sat at my table and tried to finish my German homework that I neglected the night before.

I heard a chair being pulled out across from the table. I didn't need to see who it was for me to know. I sighed and put down my pencil. "What do you want now Melinda?" I asked.