TWO

Mystic Falls, 1864

"Miss Katherine Pierce. Quite the pleasure," Estella greeted. She gave a small smile and a curtsy to the pretty girl in front of her. Katherine returned the gesture.

"As to you, Miss Estella Salvatore." Estella glanced up to see Katherine watching her. A flash of confusion flashed through Estella's eyes before she turned to her brothers, who were looking at Katherine like a goddess. A small smirk graced Estella's painted lips at the sight of their gazing. She looked at Katherine again before she spoke.

"Brothers, would you grab Miss Katherine's bags. I can escort her to her room." The brothers snapped out of their daze and rushed over to grab the bags while Katherine stepped up to follow Estella. The blonde beckoned for the brunette to follow, and she made her way through the rooms until she stopped at a door.

"This is it. Enjoy your stay," Estella said, reciting the words her father taught her. She walked away, but Katherine called her back.

"Estella," Katherine called. The blonde turned around. "Thank you." Estella, a little surprised, smiled and nodded in gratitude. She made her way back to her fumbling brothers who were arguing who carried the heaviest case.

"You two are more obvious than Miss Lockwood when she sees food!" Estella exclaimed. The brothers glared at their sister,

"Decide which one of us carries the case," Stefan said. Estella pointed to Damon, arguing that he was older and therefore could carry more weight. Stefan declared Estella a traitor.

"I am no such thing, dear Stefan. I only thought logically," Estella stated.

"We're the adolescents, Estella. We team up against him," Stefan remarked.

"Don't listen to him. He's only jealous that he's the youngest," Damon spoke in front of them. Estella laughed and raised an eyebrow at Stefan.

"This true, Stefan? Do you envy me?" Estella teased with a grin.

"Never in my life shall I envy you!" Estella laughed and shook her head at her brother. She spotted Katherine looking at them in curiosity, causing Estella to look back at her in confusion until she stepped into the kitchen.

Estella didn't know the expression in which Katherine was looking at her. Jealousy? Anger? Perhaps both. Either way, she knew it wasn't good. There was an evil glimpse in Katherine's eyes, one of which Estella would rather not engage.

Yet she had a feeling she would somehow be thrown into it.

"Estella, your father asked me to take you to your studies," a woman spoke. Estella glanced at her sideways before she looked at her brothers who were outside.

"I'd hate to disappoint him. Lets go then." Estella followed the lady through the various halls. They stopped at the door of the study room and Estella pushed it open, revealing a window covering the left wall and a bookcase covering the adjacent wall. A large desk was pushed against the opposite wall of the window with a globe next to it. A couch sat in the room with a table in front of it. Estella took a seat on the couch and grabbed the book on the desk. Gone With The Wind, a popular book during the time, rest in her hand.

"Am I to read all of this?" Estella questioned, scanning the fairly big book.

"Only the first three chapters. Then, you're to write a paragraph analysis on the main character," the lady said.

Estella nodded in understanding. She leaned back in the couch and began reading. A few hours had passed until the blonde finished her necessary reading and began writing. Once she finished, it was almost dark and Estella needed to eat. Her stomach let out a low grumble, signalling she was extremely hungry. The blonde swiftly stood up and exited the room, making her way to the carriages. On her journey, she bumped into Katherine.