NINE

United States, 1865

One year. It was roughly a year since Estella had run away, met Klaus (and his sister), and slowly fall in love with him. She didn't even spare the worry to think of Mystic Falls anymore. She focused on Klaus, solely on him and his family.

Estella had since met Elijah. They both respected each other well enough; Elijah saw Klaus' redemption in Estella and Estella simply found comfort in Elijah whenever her and Klaus would fight. In fact, Estella could likely consider Elijah to be her best friend, next to Rebekah.

Rebekah and Estella were almost like sisters. They did everything together and if Estella hadn't been turned by Klaus, Rebekah would've been her sire instead. Rebekah and Estella were twin flames.

Estella thought about this as Rebekah yanked on the strings of her dress, them going to yet another ball. Estella huffed at the thought. If she didn't love the Mikaelson's too much, she would've bailed the first dance she was forced to go to.

"Rebekah, why don't you pull it a little tighter?" Estella remarked sarcastically.

"Tighter? Are you mad?" Rebekah asked incredulously.

"You daft blonde, it was a joke," Estella snapped at her. She whipped around, glaring at the Original.

"I can still kill you," Rebekah retorted. "Don't be mean to me. It hurts."

Estella bit her tongue, refraining from the very witty and slightly rude remark she was about to say. Instead, she asked, "Why must I attend this evening? You, Niklaus, and Elijah certainly have it covered."

"You keep Nik in check. Someone has to make sure he doesn't snap the governors neck," Rebekah stated.

"Aren't you going to get dressed?" Estella questioned her. "You don't look very 'dance-ready' at all, I might say."

Rebekah shrugged in reply, causing Estella to scowl and narrow her eyes.

"Why did I get ready earlier than you?" Estella asked her. "This isn't fair. I demand answers!"

"I will get ready in a moment," Rebekah replied shortly. "I believe Nik is calling for you."

"Fine, lie to me. I will find out somehow," Estella warned her. Rebekah let out an amused laugh before Estella left.

The blonde walked down the halls, glancing at the few paintings Klaus had done over the years. She smiled warmly at them, knowing many of them were painted for her.

She stopped in front of one, recognizing it immediately. The shades of blue let her imagine the running water and the bright yellow shone like the sun. She literally felt as if she were at the beach.

"Are you admiring my work again?" Klaus asked her. Estella turned around to look at him.

"I cannot help it," Estella replied. "Your work...this painting...it's all exquisite."

Klaus smiled bashfully at the compliment. Estella grabbed his hand, grinning back.

"Where is this?" Estella questioned, pointing at the painting of the beach.

"Biarritz, France. Lovely area. We should go there sometime," Klaus suggested.

Estella blinked in shock. An incredulous laugh bubbled up from her, shaking her head.

"I will not get over your spontaneousness," Estella declared. "This all seems like a dream sometimes."

"A dream?" Klaus questioned her.

"I feel as if this is too good to be true. That one day I shall awaken, still in Mystic Falls. This is...unreal," Estella explained.

"I can assure you, love, this is all real," Klaus said to her. The blonde nodded in reply.

"Are we to go?" Estella asked him, deciding to change the subject to different matters.

"Yes," Klaus replied, seeming to shake himself from the previous discussion.

Klaus hooked his arm with hers, the two walking out of the house they were staying at and to a drawn carriage. Estella furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, wondering about Rebekah and Elijah.

"What of your siblings? Won't they accompany us?" Estella questioned him.

"They will join us later in the evening. Rebekah told me something about getting something to eat before she would attend," Klaus stated.

Estella scrunched her nose up in disgust. She could never imagine herself drinking blood.

Klaus chuckled at her expression, yet said nothing more. Instead, he led her to their ride.

The two succumbed into quiet talk, chatting about meaningless information. They talked of Rebekah's new boy toy, and how Klaus was very adamant about how much he loathed this man. Estella argued that he should give his sister a chance, yet she knew there was no chance in changing his mind.

Once they arrived, Estella noticed that they were not at a dance or party or ball—no, they were at a small clearing. It was dark out, the moonlight giving the water a milky look. It smelled of fresh flowers and honey; Estella loved it.

"Klaus, why are we here?" The blonde asked quietly.

"I decided you needed a break from this family drama. What with Rebekah and Elijah pestering you, searching for Katerina, and the countless balls. I figured you would enjoy a change of scenery," Klaus remarked.

Under the moonlight, Klaus fathomed Estella's large grin. Klaus decided this was quite possibly his favorite moment in time; Estella under the moonlight, the light hitting her face just right so he could see her pretty face. She looked completely happy and free—she looked weightless.

"Thank you, Nik," she whispered.

She leaned forward, gently kissing Klaus on the lips. Klaus smiled, kissing back. He was quick to pull back, looking into her sea green eyes.

"Perhaps I should do this now," Klaus spoke to himself.

"I don't understand..." Estella trailed off, a frown on her lips.

Klaus slowly kneeled down on one knee, only making Estella even more confused.

"Estella, though our time together has been short, I believe we have begun a new beginning together. I cannot imagine the rest of my immortal life without you. Will you do me the honors..." Klaus reached in his coat pocket to grab a small box. He slowly opened it, revealing a diamond ring, "...and marry me?"

Estella's jaw dropped in shock. Her hand went to cover her mouth, no sounds coming from her mouth as she listened to Klaus speak.

"I..." Estella muttered, her eyes wide as saucers. "Yes, yes! Oh, my god."

Klaus grinned, feeling like the happiest man alive. He stood up quickly, capturing Estella in a passionate kiss.

AUTHORS NOTE

they're actually the fûcking cutest omfg did you see how whipped Klaus was I am dead. so, there is one more chapter (their wedding) until this is all over. who's excited!?

-holly