Chapter 12: Keep Calm and Carry On, Kags

The day seemed to pass incredibly slowly for Rei. Though, it was possible that it was because she had double. Freaking. Physics. To Rei, physics was like an even more pointlessly complicated version of maths. Ugh.

When, after what seemed like a quarter of eternity, the bell finally rang to signal the wonderful time of freedom and hope known as the end of school, she went about her usual business, aka. procrastinating, checking to make sure her bag wasn't about to split from the weight of the books, making sure to fill up her water bottle (yet another form of procrastination) and finally getting changed into her running gear. Though through all this, she had a nagging feeling that she was forgetting something.

Butts.

During the arduous task of surviving double physics, it had completely slipped her mind that she was meant to visit the volleyball club's after-school practice, so she ran as fast as she could all the way to the gym (only hurtling around a couple of wrong turns, a miraculous achievement), and she was just about to flop through the doors when a shadowy figure came legging it around the corner, clutching several sheets of paper in his black-clad and skinny arms. Wham.

Rei had failed to see him in time and they collided head-on, the documents fluttering down around them. She stood in stunned silence as she looked down at the figure on the floor, who had toppled over the moment they hit each other. Rei slowly took a deep breath, then she suddenly snapped down to a 90 degree angle, bowing in shameful apology,

"Ohmygoodnessimsosorryareyoualrightididntseeyouletmehelpyouupsorrysorrysorry,"

The young man with short, curly brown hair looked up in bewilderment as she held out her hand to help him up, then looked even more bemused as she proceeded to run around picking up all the paper whilst still rapidly apologising.

"A-ah, that's really okay... But were you heading to the volleyball gym just now, by any chance?" Upon hearing this Rei looked up, startled.

"I was! How did you know? Are you a wizard!? Where's Harry?" Rei looked around, bearing a hopeful expression.

"Er... No." After the man delivered this crushing remark Rei looked disappointed, muttering something that sounded like, 'I should have given up when I turned 12'.

"I just saw that you were heading towards the gym doors," he continued. "So it was quite easy to guess... But, I'm going there too, so do you want to go together? I'm Takeda-sensei, by the way!"

The offer seemed inviting for some reason, so Rei followed him towards the door. Rei, being as fit as was previously mentioned, already had her breath back from her panicked sprint, but Takeda-sensei appeared to be distinctly lacking in the fitness department and was still panting slightly as he threw the door open wide.

"We're going to Tokyo!" He shouted as he clung to the door frame.

Huh?

Rei appeared next to him, and looked to see all the members of the club turn around to stare in their direction. Rei's stupid fear of facing lots of people kicked in, and the typical symptoms of turning bright red, nervousness sweating and heart palpitations began.

Dammit, face, stop turning red.

"Tokyo?" Rei tried to look normal by attempting conversation, but logic does explain the fact that it's hard for tomatoes to talk.

"Yes, there's a few schools in Tokyo called the Fukurodani group and they have practice matches against each other. Amazingly, because of Coach Nekoma, we can join them! They're all really strong schools, so it'll be a good opportunity to fine tune our skills and improve the team!"

Who the hell is this 'Coach Nekoma'? He sounds important... I need to find a way to escape! Wait, I don't even have to go...

"But, as you all know, exams are coming up, right?" The 'four idiots' that had by now moved to kneel in front of Takeda all looked guiltily and, ironically, to the right. "And unfortunately, the compulsory extra tutoring for those who failed an exam are held at the weekends, same time as the practice matches. I tried my best, but I couldn't persuade the principal to let us hold the lessons at a different time so you're going to have to pass if you want to play!"

And with this one sentence, Noya and Tanaka began to run around crying and panicking, Hinata was desperately asking what the failing grade was, and Kageyama... Well... Kageyama had stopped breathing.