Chapter 14: Crash

"What?! Noooo! Rei! That can't be true!"

"A-ah, I know right? But she really is ill... I phoned her this morning and her voice was all rough and she kept sniffing! Then she said she couldn't come to school today, so we'll just have to get by without her, Hinata! We can do it!"

"Ahhhh... Reiii... Don't leave us!" The ginger panicked, earning a strange look from Tsukishima and a skull-crush from Kageyama, who, though he would never admit it, was actually feeling slightly frustrated for one reason or another. Tsukishima, on the other hand, was as happy as his pessimistic brain would allow him to be at the thought of a completely Rei-free day.

•••(Rei's flat)

'Ill', my left buttock, Rei thought to herself as she grabbed yet another tissue, wiping her red nose and bloodshot eyes for the thousandth time. She couldn't get those memories out of her head, those ones, the specific images she had managed not to think about for three years, and just had to have been triggered by Tsushitshima.

"Dammit!" She viciously yanked the duvet off of her legs, standing abruptly and striding out of the room. She grabbed her running kit from its usual place, pulling it on in her frustration as she crammed a banana into her mouth and forced her feet into her trainers.

Rei's eyes seemed to hold a kind of burning desperation, the intense gaze returning to them as her pace picked up and carried her way past her usual steady and sustainable speed, going forwards at a messy sprint that seemed to lack any rationality whatsoever. Rei was definitely not famed for her sense of direction, but any previous knowledge of the area was forgotten as she let her feet and gasping breath carry her anywhere, anywhere, as long as it was away from those thoughts, those memories that had come back to haunt her.

Big brother...

She had no clue where she was going, barely registering the lefts, rights, confused stares and shoulders she knocked as she ran, eventually coming to a panting, chest-heaving halt outside a small supermarket, that, she noticed with a slight chuckle amidst the gasping, sold strawberry milk.

Best deal, huh? Well, I certainly didn't get that in life. Dammit! Make it stop!

She screamed in frustration and sank to her knees in the middle of the unfamiliar pavement, and, ironically, it was right next to a road. Not helping, not helping, not helping.

"Rei, we really have to go now!"

"I don't wanna!"

"I told you, no complaining now!"

"No! Never!"

"Nope! You're coming with me right now, get over to my car or I'll have to carry you!"

"Kyaaaaa!" The brunette screamed as the tall blonde picked her up by her feet, running towards the blue mini that was parked by the playground gate, Rei hanging upside-down and swinging from side to side like a wriggling pendulum.

"There we go!" He said, pinning her down and clipping her into the front seat. He took the steering wheel in his hands and then revved the engine, the young girl twisting around in her seat the whole time.

"Stop it! I'm trying to drive!" He raised his voice slightly, attempting to force Rei off of his arm and back into her seat but failing, the girl continuing to shake his arms and squeal loudly.

"I should've freaking realised... Should have... No... Stop... Make it stop..."

As she grabbed his arms, his grip on the wheel loosened and the tyres began to squeal, the car picking up speed as he panicked and his foot tensed against the accelerator pedal.

"REI! STO-"

Crash.

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, her head feeling like a hammer struck it every time her heart thumped.  A grainy white mist seemed to impair her vision, except for one terrifying thing.

Blood. Blood everywhere. And it was her fault. She couldn't move her body, and it hurt, it hurt so much that tears streaked down her grimy, sweaty cheeks and landed on the ground, mingling with the trail of bright red that flowed from her head.

Her face turned to the side, towards where she had last seen her brother before the big crash.

How she wished she had never looked. The tears began again with new vigour, the bile rising in her throat as the dull thud of her heart sped up.

A faint, piercing siren.

Twisted, crushed metal.

A mangled body.

"Big brother?" A hoarse, scratchy whisper made its way out of her throat as she stared at the blood that dripped from his ears, at the leg unmistakably twisted at the wrong angle, and, worst of all, the side of the red-smeared rib cage which hadn't been crushed that wasn't moving up and down.

"Dead... Not dead... He's gone... Gone... No! Don't take him away!" Rei had her hands pressed to her ears, as if she was trying to block out the screams and cries of her younger self that played through her head as she once again saw the high-visibility jackets and black bag that could only mean one thing.

Dead.

~

Sobbing. That's what he heard as he stood stock still, listening as he waited in line. He thought he recognised that voice, no, he definitely knew that tone. Wait, wasn't she supposed to be ill today? He quickly scanned the pink-coloured drink and practically forced the coins into the machine, grabbing a plastic bag as he rushed out of the little shop. He stopped dead in the entrance.

Rei?

~~~~~~~~

Holy moly  I'm so sorry I didn't update in ages, but what the hell is this? 12k views? U mad bro? So yes I am a terrible procrastinator, I apologise, but I also want to ask you lot something... *will probably get no reply*

Do you ship Rei with anyone? I have le ship names~

KageRei - Kags x Rei

ReiShima - Rei x Tsukkipoop

NishiRei - Noya x Rei (idk tbh)

Or even...

YaRei - Yachi x Rei

So tell me what you think and I'll see what happens ;^)

One more thing... (No, I'm not quite finished) Sorry about the storyline because honestly I've been reading too many angsty fanfics recently, someone help please. Ok, now I'm done. (Btw I'm impressed you read this far) Adiós.