Neighbors

Harry

At 4 in the afternoon, the village was clammed-up as usual. Most times, I couldn't help but want a little bit of something. I wanted a change of things in this all too predictable place. I'd been studying it for 20 minutes. The rare sunlight shining on my pale skin.

Joey had drove past me in first five minutes I'd been out. He offers me to join him as he was taking his newly bought Jaguar for a test ride around the village. I hated his guts, so I decline politely.

The thing was, if it weren't for me being a former football player in high school, I'd be top on that guy's blacklist.

Later, a black limousine drives right by me. I was almost completely positive it belonged to Robert Hails if it wasn't for it arriving 4 hours earlier than his usual ETA. I knew because he was close to my mum.

A man dressed in a short-cut suit climbs out, their chauffeur. He opens the trunk and pulls out a few over 5 colorful luggage.

Robert was most probably back from another vacation. It was summer after all.

The middle-aged, balding man opens the backseat door, giving out a hand. This event had been the most action I'd gotten from sitting out in the curb the whole day, so I could not help but watch.

The person pulled out by the driver was enough to refill my veins with the energy they had been drained of, the adrenaline causing me to stand from my spots ion on the ground. It was a lady, one dressed in a simple black dress. 

Her eyes stayed shielded behind a pair of silver sunglasses, yet I could make out the rest of her features. There was no denying she was mighty eye-catching. The cold breeze caused her wisps of crimped dark brown hair to fly all over the place erratically.

Who was she?

It doesn't take long before I walk back inside, perhaps it was because Estella Heights wasn't as predictable as I thought, or that a proper fit girl had just moved in the house less than a kilometer away from mine.

I call out for my mum, who was most likely musing over my father's left-behind junk again. I find her when I round a corner, doing exactly what I'd predicted

"That's an old picture." I state. She rests it back on the table gently

"Oh Harry, you know I'm just collecting what's left of his stuff." She closes the box aggressively, folding a flap of the other as she struggles to block out the thoughts that were obviously telling her: no, you miss him. She faces me.

"Did you need something?"

"It's just a question."

I was about to ask her about the girl, obviously. The one that accompanied Mr. Hails.

I knew that he was the heir to the family business which ran a very successful estate company. They built houses and villages and everything. My mother was a successful architect under it. She was also quite good at the designing part, hence our intricately, creatively decorated home.

"What is it?" She asks.

"Do you know of any relatives Mr. Hails has?"

"Just know that he has a brother living in Essex, why?"

"Well he brought home a girl, with luggage and stuff."

" 'S probably a girlfriend moving in?"

I cringe; Robert Hails did not seem to be a pedophile.

"He looked 20 plus years her senior."

She gives me a pointed look, reviewing my face weirdly as I shrugged her off, uncomfortable. "Why the sudden interest in Robert's family background?" She asks me, then after a few moments, quirks her eyebrows up suggestively. "So tell me, was she a pretty lass?"

"She... Mum!" I trudge out of the kitchen, landing myself on the velvet couch. I turn the telly on immediately, switching through channels till I landed on one that showed reruns of Friends.

Beyond the glass walls of our house, a movement catches my eye. It was the girl again, standing outside of their house. She had a troubled look on her face, scanning the road from side to side.

"Is that her? She does look too young to be a girlfriend."

"Stoooop."

A jaguar drives by, windows rolling down. It stops right in front of her.

The driver was Joey.

After they chat for a short time, she rides in with him, taking the passengers seat before the car leaves just as fast as it arrived.

"His bird?" Mum asks. This aggravates my annoyance.

"I highly doubt so."

"She is pretty, son. I understand why you're so taken with her."

"Really mum, I get it."

"I can ask about her at work, you know? I have a meeting with Robert later." She picks up her handbag, walking over to me and pressing a sloppy kiss on my forehead.

"Don't do it. That really won't change a thing."

"You really wouldn't know."