Chapter Eleven - Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

~

Chapter Eleven

"So your saying that Christian is your half brother?" Harrison explodes once I finish.

"Yes," I say simply, "But you aren't. My father would have killed you too if he hasn't been killed first."

Evangelina runs over to Harrison and hugs him, "Then we would never have found our love..."

I see a troubled look flicker across Harrison's face, and Christian looks to me with sympathy. He had learnt of my secret love for Harrison. Only Evangelina was oblivious...even Kaloua has figured it out, and he had then shared his knowledge with Nadi.

"Evangelina..." Harrison begins, "I have something to tell you. My own secret to spill."

Christian looks over to me with worry. We can both figure out that Harrison is going to admit he doesn't love her back. But if he did that, my mother would never forgive me for stealing the prince's heart, then Evangelina would tell everyone about Nadi and Kaloua and...the results tumble on. Despite my wanting to be with Harrison, this isn't the right time,

"Harrison, come on, it can wait. It's been a long day, and we all need sleep-" I begin but he cuts me off,

"Don't you want this, Belle?" He snaps, pushing Evangelina away from him, "I can see you love me too, you don't go through effort to hide it from me. Why are you not letting me tell her?"

I see Evangelina's heart drop. It's clear in her eyes, "But...but Harry..."

He turns to Evangelina and snaps, "I never loved you, Ange, I'm sorry. I married you through the betrothal, nothing more. I honestly can't stand you! Every time you hang off me, I just wish it was Arabelle. Every time I see you lay beside me asleep, I wish it was Arabelle..." By the end, he had calmed more until it was just a hushed mumble.

Christian clears his throat at Nadi and Kaloua, then they lift off and fly away. I can see tears welling up in Evangelina's eyes and she rushes into the house crying. Christian turns to me then follows his sister in. That leaves me with Harrison.

"I know I shouldn't have, but I couldn't stop it." Harrison mumbled to me as I moved closer, his head hanging low, "I never wanted to be with her...every second with her seemed to last hours, while whenever I was alone with you, time seemed to pass to quickly," he looks up, his eyes bowls of sorrow, but relief, "When I saw you gallop off before, I knew it was what I had done...catching up to Evangelina. So as soon as I saw you had gone over the river, I didn't hesitate to follow you. When the wilds found me, I thought they had found you before me so I fought them, begging them to take me to you. Then I gave up...that's when you came.

"The relief I felt when I saw you safe and okay...I never felt it with Evangelina. The feelings I have for you...I never felt them with her. Even when you has disappeared for a year, then two, I couldn't move on from you. I cursed myself every night for not believing you on the roof. That was probably part of the reason you ran. I mean, if your best friend didn't believe you...who would, right?"

I nod, "That's exactly how I felt. I told you before anyone because I thought..."

Harrison moves closer and wraps his arms around me, and I nuzzle into his shoulder, "You thought that I would trust you. And I learnt from that. Anything you say, I will believe. No questions asked."

I feel a year trickle from my eye, "Really?"

He nods, his soft cheek pressed against my forehead, "Really."