chapter seven

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."

-Harry Edwards

-

If Niall was being honest, these past few months had been very stressful. He hadn't had a relaxing day in what seemed to be forever, and the fact that they just had a new baby only several short months ago didn't really help the matter. At least his hormone level had seemed to go down, which stopped him from going psycho and snapping at every little thing.

"Hi, baby," Niall's body physically relaxed as he felt Zayn's arms curl around his middle. Harry was currently taking his second nap of the day in the nursery and the twins were playing with their toys in the living room. Niall set his phone down and turned around to face his husband.

"Hey!" Zayn was all he needed right now to get away from his hectic everyday life. Niall buried his face in Zayn's neck and hugged Zayn's waist. Zayn smiled and kissed his hair, taking note of the fact that Niall had changed shampoos.

"Are you ready for tonight, lovely?" Zayn was pretty sure Niall was blushing at the compliment, even if he couldn't see it. Niall's birthday had been last week, but they hadn't been able to celebrate until now. "So I've got some stuff planned for us,"

Niall lifted his head and cocked his eyebrow with a smile on his face. "And what might that stuff be?" He inquired, hoping some of it involved their bed.

"Well, first I thought we could drop the kids off at my mum and dad's in a few hours, and before you ask, they've already said yes," Zayn said, answering the question he knew Niall was going to ask and pressing a lingering kiss to his lips. "And then, I'm going to take you out to eat, and then we can come back home and watch films all night, yeah?" Niall grinned and leaned up to kiss Zayn's cheek. Niall wasn't a huge romantic, and didn't care to be spoiled (except for maybe in bed, where he absolutely craved it). He loved simple acts of love like this, especially because they didn't really get the chance to be alone a lot. So what if they didn't do anything explicit tonight? He'd rather spend the evening laughing and talking with his husband than anything else, and just being in Zayn's company was way better than bed.

"Sounds good! Where are you taking me?" Niall sang as Zayn trapped him against the countertop. Zayn laughed and kissed Niall's forehead.

"Wherever you want, doll," His eyes zoomed in on a spot on the underside of Niall's ear. Had that freckle always been there? Even after ten plus years of being in love with the same man, Zayn was still finding out new things about Niall everyday.

"Well, I hope you like McDonald's then, because I'm starving!" Niall yawned and slipped out of Zayn's arms. "I'm gonna go tell the boys what we're doing," Zayn shook his head fondly and trailed after Niall like a lost puppy to the living room.

Niall sat down carefully on the floor next to Liam. "So," Liam looked up at his fathers' presence and clambered into Zayn's lap, who had sat down on the floor beside Niall. "Is it okay if Papa and I go out on a date tonight and you guys can have a sleepover at gran's house?"

Louis sat up on his knees and dropped his crayons on the table, an honestly curious look on his face. "A date? Does that mean that, uhm, you and Papa are dating? Like boyfriends?" He questioned.

Niall threw his head back and laughed. "Yeah, Papa's my boyfriend!" He shot a wink at Zayn, who gave his husband a smirk and a wink in return.

After a snack and a Disney movie, Niall pulled out his phone and nearly swore when he saw the time. "We'd better leave! Your mum and dad'll be expecting us to drop off the boys soon!" Niall stood up and went to go collect the kids' overnight bags and Harry, who was still sleeping.