Chapter 7| In Person

"So, what are we gonna need?" Akira whispered, rolling her eyes at the utter disregard Hak had for remaining silent as he dug through the pile of weapons in the armoury. "Are you trying to wake all of Kouka?"

It was the middle of the night and the two siblings were preparing the supplies they'd need for their journey.

"Argh, I can't find anything smaller," Hak grumbled, picking up one of the daggers from the pile and tossing it in his hands. "This will have to do."

Suddenly the doors slammed open and the owner of the armoury came charging in, obviously expecting thieves. He stumbled to a stop when he noticed who it was instead. "Ah! Wha- lord Hak?" he stuttered, taken completely by surprise by the sight of the Thunderbeast digging through his armoury in the middle of the night. His eyes then noticed the dark-haired figure standing behind him. "A-And lady Akira?"

"Hello sir," Akira greeted cheerfully, as if this entire situation were an ordinary occurrence. "Fancy seeing you here."

"W-What are you..." the man trailed off, rubbing his eyes and making sure he wasn't dreaming.

"I need a bow and a dagger," Hak explained shortly, before proceeding to grab one of the longbows hanging on the wall and testing its string.

"Are you...going hunting?" The armourer asked confusedly, recovering slightly from his original shock. While it wasn't uncommon for this particular pair of siblings to raid his weapons store, it had never been in the middle of the night.

"You could say that," Hak grinned. "We're going away. Might not be back for a while." Akira handed him a different bow, tossing the one he held aside. 

"This one is better," she muttered, before smiling at the old man. "Apologies for disturbing you so late at night. Here." She tossed him a bag of coins. "That should cover the dagger and the bow. Oh, and we'll need arrows and some throwing knives please."

"Y-You're paying me?? You two usually tell me to put it on your grandfather's tab," he muttered, sweatdropping slightly. Akira sniggered.

"I guess we're finally developing a sense of responsibility. Who would have thought," She said, before running her fingers through the fletching of a few arrows. "One full quiver of these should do." The old weapon's master was still watching them, still very perplexed.

Once they were done raiding the poor elder's store, Hak straightened and bowed. "Thank you," his expression was genuine for once. "For everything you've given us the past few years." Akira followed in motion.

"Please live a long life, even though we'll probably never see you again," she smiled softly. The man shuffled awkwardly.

"B-be careful. I don't know where you're going, but try to come back will you? It's not the same without you two here to stir trouble," he mumbled gruffly. Akira laughed, bowing one last time before the two siblings silently left, disappearing into the night, onto the next step of their journey.

The old man felt a small tugging in his chest.

He sensed that from then on, things would never go back to the way they were.

**

[The next morning]

"Alrighty! Time to set off!" Hak huffed, a lazy smile on his face as he and Akira strolled towards the main gates of the city. The silverette sniffled, and being the irritating older brother he was, Hak sniggered. "Is the legendary tiger really crying over leaving her home?"

"Shut up! We're never gonna see Taeyeun again," she wailed, waving her arms passionately. "We're never gonna see him grow up and graduate and get married!" Hak rolled his eyes at his sister's dramaticism, before eyeing her equipment. From an outsider's perspective, all she seemed to be armed with were her two twin knives strapped to her back, which Hak knew for certain was a ruse to lure attackers into a false sense of security. She probably had a multitude of daggers, throwing knives and needles hidden in her clothes. He raised an eyebrow as he noticed something missing.