Chapter 6 | The Final Command

Third person POV:

Yona woke up in an unfamiliar room, her body sore and her mind hazy. As she came to her surroundings, her first feeling was fear.

'Where's my hairpin?'

As she felt around blindly for the familiar shape of her hairpin, the door slid open to reveal Akira. She noticed Yona's distraught expression and accurately guessed the reason behind it.

"If you're looking for you hairpin, I have it here," her tone and expression were blank. Yona looked down guiltily as Akira placed a tray of food next to her. Noticing her expression, Akira's eyes softened and she sighed.

"I don't blame you Yona," she said quietly. The red-head's gaze snapped up to look at her, wide with surprise. Akira smiled ruefully and pushed the bowl of congee towards her. "I can't forgive him for what he did, but I don't blame you either."

She handed her a spoon. "Now eat while it's still hot, alright?" Her gaze was gentle, free of judgement, and for that Yona was grateful.

"Thanks," she murmured, before taking a bite of the porridge. Her eyes watered as tears appeared in her eyes.

"Is it good?" A little blonde boy with blue eyes slid open the door and peeked in. "Ehh? Why are you crying? Is it gross?" The boy's expression fell as he entered the room.

Yona looked down, her hands trembling. "It's warm..." she whispered.

"You're crying because it's warm? You're strange" he blinked innocently, taking a seat next to her.

"It reminds me of my father," she smiled painfully, staring into the bowl. The boy reached up and gently wiped away her tears, causing her eyes to widen in surprise.

"My name is Taeyeun! I'm Akira's younger brother," he smiled cheerfully, successfully distracting her.

"Akira's... little brother?" she tilted her head, turning to the said silverette. "You have a little brother?"

She hummed, smiling fondly and ruffling Taeyeun's hair. "Mm, a very cute one at that."

Yona looked back at the young boy. She realised just how much she didn't know about Hak and Akira's personal lives, and how self-centred she'd been her whole life. She suddenly felt very selfish.

"Ne, what's your relationship with Hak?" Taeyeun suddenly asked, once again successfully distracting her from her thoughts.

"Huh? Hak?"

"I know you're friends with Akira, but are you friends with Hak too?"

"Uh... Probably-"

"You're probably friends?!" The doors slammed open to reveal Taewoo and Han-dae, sobbing dramatically. Akira subtly rolled her eyes, hiding her grin.

"No way...Even if you can't be lovers," Taewoo cried, clenching and shaking his fist.

"You might not even be friends! So he's totally out!" Han-dae continued, a hand over his face as he sobbed. "Ah, poor Lord Hak! His feelings are unrequited-"

POW!

They were cut off by a blow from Hak's spear.

"Who are you calling friends?" Hak asked pointedly, his expression set into one of annoyance. Akira tried and failed to hide her snigger.

"Huh? Then, my attendan-" she was cut off as Hak leaned close enough to put a hand over her mouth and whisper in her ear.

"Your name is Rina and you're a court lady in training, got it?" he hissed, feeling Yona stiffen beneath him. She nodded hesitantly and he slowly withdrew his arm. "Alright, there's a good girl."