Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

The days swept by in a blur of training, near death experiences, and endless worries. Each day brought a new fear that Steven would find a way of proving that Collin had broken fuil aimsir, or that he would show up at my house and kill my parents. I had taken to spending more and more time away from Renee and Phil in an attempt to prevent such an outcome, but it did little to curb my nerves. I knew I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I was responsible for their deaths. While I looked out over the horizon from where I stood, imagining all the terrible things that could befall my parents, I resolved myself to prevent them.

“Again.” Shiloh’s voice roused me from my panic-induced delirium, and I was able to clear my mind a bit. Unfortunately, I had not been fast enough, and she had noticed my poor concentration. “Distraction is not an ideal variable for this task.”

I cringed, and my cheeks flamed while I tried to compose myself. “I’m sorry, Shiloh. I’ll get it together.”

She frowned and narrowed her eyes, but it was not entirely unkind. “What is troubling you?”

“It’s nothing,” I answered with a shake of my head, but I relented when she continued to stare at me with her skeptical expression. My hands dug into my pockets, and I took a deep breath before my word vomit came tumbling out. “I’m worried about my parents. If Steven decides to attack them, they have no means of protection. I’d never forgive myself if they died because of me.”

“This is why severance is necessary in our life,” she responded in a cold, emotionless voice. I lowered my eyes. When she spoke again, her tone was significantly softer. “I do not believe Steven will attempt such an act.”

“Why not?” I lifted my head, eager.

“It is no secret that we avenge those taken from us,” she answered, and although her tone was still somewhat amiable, there was a sharpness to her message. “The leeches are aware that they vastly outnumber us. They know where it is we reside, and yet, they make no attempt to invade our home. Why do you believe that is, Bella?”

I pursed my lips and considered her question. I could not see why the vampires, knowing they outnumbers the Walkers, would let them live. “I don’t know.”

“Fear,” Shiloh explained. “They fear not what is before them, but what they cannot see. The unknown is always more terrifying than the known.”

Shiloh’s words were confusing, and yet, they made perfect sense. However, my worries were not assuaged. If anything, she had just described how I was feeling. “I just can’t stop wondering if I’m going to go home one day and find them dead.”

I briefly considered how Rosalie and Esme had kept Charlie safe when I had fled to Phoenix. Shiloh had told me once that familial connections were relatively important, but in a different way. It starkly contrasted with her request that I cut my parents out of my life. I couldn’t ask her to protect Renee and Phil. It wouldn’t be appropriate, would it? No. It wouldn’t.

“There is nothing I can say that will alleviate your concern.” Her words hit me like a cold slab of marble, and I actually caught myself wincing from the emotional sting. “The only assurance I can offer is that Collin and Riklin are hunting him as I speak.”

A bit of hope sparked to life, snuffing out the darkness of my mood. I nodded in acceptance. Collin and Rix were both skilled hunters. If Steven was within the city confines, they would certainly find him. With my fear momentarily quelled, I focused on the line of buildings before me. My task was to consecutively hop to each of their roofs as fast as I could. So far, my time had not been sufficient. Truth be told, I was happy for the distraction from my ceaseless worrying. It was a relief to relinquish my fears and have my actions dictated by another party. Was that how the others felt?