Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I stirred earlier than usual the following morning, and when I wondered why, I heard a familiar sound outside the window. The pitter-patter hitting the side of the house filled me with horror, and at a speed comparable to a vampire, I launched myself out of bed. As I ripped the curtains away from the window, I stifled a cry. The streets were slick, the glass was covered with moisture, the plants appeared more vibrant than before, and there were puddles forming everywhere. I clutched my chest and heaved a sob when I realized I wasn’t hallucinating; it was raining in Jacksonville.

I collapsed on the floor and wrapped my arms around my stomach, trying to prevent the inevitable. My lungs constricted as the memories of the lush, green forests of Forks danced through my mind, and I was immediately coughing, desperate to get oxygen into my body. In reality, my respiratory system was functioning fine, that much I knew, but I still wheezed and clutched at my throat. As I lay down on the floor, the carpet irritating the side of my face, I hugged my ribs and silently begged for the numbness to return.

When the moment finally subsided, I lifted myself up and frowned at the window. I briefly considered feigning illness and staying home from school, but I knew it wouldn’t help. Instead of being distracted by my schoolwork, I would be alone with my memories and thoughts. So, after scowling at the outside world one last time, I dressed for the day, grabbed my backpack, and headed out to the kitchen.

I hardly touched my breakfast and apologized to my mother for not eating… again, but I could tell she and Phil were growing suspicious. Before either of them could ask any questions, I fled to the living room and sat on the couch. It was still raining, and every time the water drops hit the side of the house, it felt like a nail was being driven into my heart. I held my backpack on my lap and gripped it tightly, trying to hide the tears that were threatening to pour down my cheeks. When Renee announced it was time to leave, I tried to dry my eyes subtly. You can do this, Bella, just get through the day.

I flipped the hood of my sweater over my head once I was outside, glared at the water on the ground when it made the bottom hem of my jeans damp, and pushed through the foul weather. 

It was painfully obvious Mom, as well as the other residents of Jacksonville, were somewhat unskilled when it came to driving in the rain. While we moved through the slick streets, I grimaced as I watched a few cars skid through intersections, and I gasped when my own mother almost rear-ended someone at a stoplight. While having my heart speed up at random intervals was trying, I was happy I was no longer focusing on the rain.

The front of the school was relatively empty when we arrived. The few students I could see had retreated underneath the awnings. I did my best not to think of my last day at Forks High School, but it was difficult. As I sat there, staring at a group of students, I could almost see Eric standing among them, shouting for me to come in from the rain. With a violent shake of my head, I pushed the thought away and unhooked my seatbelt. I was about to climb out of the car when Renee stopped me. Her hand rested lightly on my shoulder, and I turned to her.

“Bella,” she said hesitantly. Oh no, this can’t be good. “Would you like to move back with your Dad?”

I was rendered speechless, too stunned to respond immediately. Why on earth would she ask me something like that? I’d been trying to stay neutral for her sake, making vain attempts to appear happy when I really wasn’t. Was that not enough? What more could I do? As my face crumpled, and I started to feel my lungs close off, she continued.

“I just think it might be better, honey,” she rationalized. “It’s obvious to Phil and me that you’re not happy here. We hate to see you miserable, and if going back to Forks will help that, then so be it.”