It's Been a Long Day

"Hey Mark," you whispered through a broken smile.

A perfect patch of grass lay shadowed beneath the willow tree for you to kneel on. It was a sunny afternoon in Cincinnati. A scattered family of trees with thick, pendulous branches outlined the field where so many memories lay.

On this day you thought of the times when, even as adults, you and your best friend Mark used to run away to this secluded field. The countless days and nights when you used to climb each of these trees together, hanging like monkeys or getting stuck and falling to the ground. Mark loved to thrill you. He would hang upside down by his hyperextended ankles, just to see the panicked widening of your eyes that he found so funny and adorable. Once, he actually convinced you to try. You fell, and he attempted to brace the impact. It only resulted in endless bellows of laughter at the romantic position he caught you.

Underneath the bright forest green limbs of one willow was also where you ran hidden away after your first bad breakup. Although secretly, he was happy you were single, Mark hated seeing you hurt so deeply; it pulled a very acute anger from his ribs. Knowing where your feet would carry you, he found you beneath this tree weeping. He used to sit on a limb above you and tell you like a broken record how you deserved someone better. "Someone who won't let you go this easily and effortlessly, someone who cares about you enough to break down the walls of protection you keep around your heart. You don't deserve this feeling. You deserve to be treasured," he said. He jumped out of the branches as an emotion-filled teardrop trickled down your left cheek, but Mark gently kissed it away before it fell to the earth.

Your fingertips still occasionally trace where his lips once touched.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wow. One whole year. Long time no see, huh?" You sighed to the memorial you made for Mark near the tree trunk. "I would've come sooner, but some things have been happening lately. I've probably already talked to you about some of them."

Mounted catty-cornered against the rigid roots of the tree trunk was a wooden cross. You gathered some of his many nieces and nephews, and together, you painted the cross white and added his pixelated M logo from YouTube on each corner, with a pink mustache in the middle. Later on, you found a rugged heart shaped rock by a river. It reminded you of another of his logos - a pixelated heart that said "Markiplier's Heroes" inside it. Only you hand-engraved yours, "My Hero".

Staring at the memorial, you were flooded with honor. You knelt down and opened your picnic basket, taking out an apple and biting it. "So, I finally listened to your advice. I finished school once and for all, and I'm doing what I've always wanted. It was so hard at the end of the last semester, exams can officially go fuck themselves. But, I'm actually happy now. I haven't been truly happy in a while."

As you continued your picnic, talking to what you wished was the flesh and blood of this beautiful person you were blessed to call your friend, your heart became heavy and your eyes began to blur in vision. Soon you were fighting back the painful cries with everything you had. You fought, because he wouldn't want you to be sad. If you cried, he always choked back his own emotions to help you. Now was the time to return that gracious favor.

"Remember how we used to talk about heaven ever since elementary school?" you shut your eyes and smiled. "Tell me, what's it like up there? Are there golden skies with fluffy clouds instead of floors and big entrance gates like I used to say? Or is it like you imagined - starry and bright with all the colors in the spectrum, and zero gravity like in space? God, you loved space," you laugh radiantly looking back at how he could go on for hours about the beauty of outer space. "I would give anything to hear you ramble on about space again."

"How's your dad? The man, the myth, the legend. Hey, I know you would disagree, but you came pretty close to that title. Not quite there, but close. And even if you didn't get that title, you were a true hero, Mark. You're definitely my hero. I'm so happy you finally got to be with your dad again. I always knew you would. I just can't believe... I can't believe God took you home so soon."

As the words spilled and you covered your teary face, a piercing thunderclap rattled the limbs of every tree. They shimmied, before they danced heavily under a cool rain shower. You knew what this was; Mark loved rain. He loved rain almost as much as he loved space.

You couldn't help but smile at the irony while looking up at the sky in awe. "As if I wasn't crying enough already! Thanks a lot, Fischbach!"

The blue sky didn't turn gray like it normally would under such a hard downpour. Oddly, it stayed clear through the big raindrops and constant thunder rumbles. Everything was so beautifully sequenced. You stood to your feet and ran out to the middle of the field, stretching your arms wide, and letting your head fall backward as the rain washed your tears away.

You eyes closed for a long moment in peace.

Thunder kept the sound of silence at bay. The water fell blissfully with the bass.

"I miss you so much Mark." You rested your arms and met gazes with the rain once again. "I hope I'll see you again. And then...I'll be able to tell you how much I love you."

Leaving behind a kiss on your two fingers signing peace to the sky, you walked away. And forever will those willows weep whenever you come to visit them.