Not If We're Dead

"Do you have everything?" I asked, and the guys nodded. We had stocked as much as we could carry for our trip, and all the guys held weapons, my trustY bat in my hand.

We had a long journey, and I wasn't even sure why I was trusting them. Maybe it was because they hadn't killed me yet and I'd been with them for three days, or done anything else awful to me.

And they could have multiple times.

I sighed, walking across the rooftop to the highway. We would have to find some good places to sleep, especially since there was such a large group of us.

"So were you rich or something?" Ricky asked, trotting to my side ahead of the group.

"We were comfortable."

"But super comfy, right?"

I sent him a frown. "Comfortable."

"Did you have a big family?"

Why was he interrogating me?

"Just two siblings, a brother and sister."

"Me too. Where are they?"

"Where do you think?" I muttered, glancing at him. "They're dead."

He winced. "Were you close?"

"Not really," I shook my head. "I didn't get along with them. Charlie was a entitled ass and Felicia was a whinny princess."

"Sounds like you were the middle child."

"Yep." I hopped onto a fire escape, using it as leverage as I made it to the roof. The guys followed me, and it was a couple hours later when we reached the highway, full of abandoned cars.

"Watch your step," I told them. "Sometimes they're under the cars."

That was how they'd gotten Chase.

All the guys looked down at their feet as they shuffled after me. I weaved through all the cars, glancing up at the sun as it went farther and farther across the sky. We weren't making as much progress as I'd hoped we would.

And it was so hot, I was sweating through my t shirt, and I know the guys were just as miserable.

I tossed some sunblock at Chris.

"You guys better lather up if you don't want a sunburn, you're pale as fuck."

"Nothing wrong with that," Ricky said defensively. "It worked great for our image."
"Your image doesn't mean shit now," I sighed. "But if you get major sunburns you'll be whining for days, and I'm out of aloe."

I ignored his grumbling.

I stretched my arms, my shoulders starting to hurt from carrying my bag, and my neck was throbbing. God, this was turning out to be an awful week.

"I miss my car," Balz grumbled as we walked past a crashed camero. "I fucking hate walking."

"Why can't one of these fucking cars work?" Ryan grumbled. "We could drive it through the other lane --- it's practically empty."

"If you can get one to work," I sighed; I knew nothing about cars.

Ryan raised his brows, as if accepting the challenge. He eyed some of them, and then finally spotted one that was on the edge.

"That one," he breathed.

"That won't fit all of us," Chris told him, seeing as it was a two door car, the backseat small.

"So someone can ride in the trunk," Ryan shrugged, trying to start the car. He popped the hood when it didn't work, and I sighed, slipping on the hood of a nearby car and laying back, staring at the sky as he and Balz tried to get it to start.

Thirty minutes later, I heard the engine spark to life, Ryan giving a loud whoop that made me cringe.

I sat up quickly, hurrying to the car as everyone tried to pile in.

"Are you even sure it's going to move?" I asked.

"Get in and we'll see."

I glanced at the car, and sighed, realizing I was going to have to sit in someone's lap.

Devin would be my choice, as nice and quiet as he was. However, he was squished in the middle of the back seat and I would have to crawl either over Balz or Ricky and I would rather avoid that.

So Chris, sitting calmly in the passenger seat, would have to do.

I gave another sigh as I put my bag in the floorboard and crawled in, squeezing my legs between the door and my bag.

"I feel like I'm in a clown car," I muttered as Ryan pulled the car into the emergency lane and slamminged the gas, sending all of us back abruptly.

"Are you trying to kill us?" I demanded.

"Nope. But we'll get there so much quicker!"

"Not if we're dead!" I squawked.

"Chill. Ryans a good driver," Balz said from the back. "Keep your panties on."

I scowled.

My fingers turned white where I braced myself against the dash, my shoulder pressed against Chris's chest as Ryan abruptly turned on the exit I pointed, sending us all leaning drastically to the side.

He was going to kill us.

I glanced at the gas tank, knowing it didn't have much in it.

"Can the tank make it?" I asked, sitting tensely.

"We have about a little less then half a tank. We'll have to stop to sleep, but if we can get this bad boy to crank again in the morning. We'll be at your cabin pretty quick."

We really would, and I was kind of surprised. This was going smoother then expected.

"Roll the windows down, it's way too hot," Ricky complained. "I'm going to combust."