It Only Goes Two Ways

I felt so embarrassed asking him to stay with me, but I hadn't slept once since I'd woken up last night, I couldn't.

I didn't feel safe.

Staying at the hospital.... It made me afraid to close my eyes in case someone was just waiting to come through the door after me.

I rubbed my face unhappily.

I was so tired, and I ached so awfully.

I felt so much for Kuza, Francesca, she --- she'd deserved so much better then that.

So much better.

And she could have survived the bites...

They could have been together.

I pressed my fingers over my mouth, feeling sick, then remembering the feel of Chris kissing me, careful because he knew I was hurt.

He was so considerate.

It was odd.

I'd never met anyone like him.

And damn could he kiss.

I frowned at myself, then stood, slowly making my way downstairs. I'd given Chris enough time to go and be with Kuza, and I was really thirsty now.

Devin and Ricky sat at the table as I hobbled by, grumbling about how bad the city was getting, how we were going to have to scavenge far and wide for supplies come winter.

"Why don't you just farm?" I sighed, grabbing the cold pitcher of water from the fridge and pouring myself a glass. "Plant some stuff and we can have fresh garden supplies. We can always can or freeze it for later."

"Yeah, we're from the city, you expect us to farm?" Ricky snorted, his eyes on my forehead. "I couldn't keep a plant alive."

"I'm sure we could figure it out," I sighed, sipping my water. "It can't be that hard, can it?"

I glanced out the window, seeing Kuza kneeling by a mound of raised dirt, his shoulders slumped as he leaned forward, and Chris was beside him, wearing a shirt now, talking.

"So, Kels, can I ask you something?" Ricky asked, sounding curious.

"Hmm?" I turned my eyes to him.

"Ryan told us that Kuza told him that he walked in on you and Chris getting busy. That true?"

Sweet god.

My face flushed, and I shook my head quickly, denying it. "It wasnt like that."

"Sooo you weren't getting busy?"

"What does that even mean, Ricky? What were we busy with?"

"Well, fucking, if you want me to be blunt."

"Ricky!"

"Ricky!"

He merely chuckled at me and Devin, both of us mortified.

I glanced at the front door as it opened, Chris stepping inside with a sigh. He glanced forward, and just shook his head.

I sighed.

"Has he eaten anything?"

"No," Devin shook his head. "He hasn't moved from that spot, not since the funeral."

"How can you call that a funeral?" Ricky muttered, all of us looking out the window to stare at Kuza. "We put her in the ground, said a few words. She doesn't even have a marker."

"So make her one. Get some wood, hammer it together and mark her name on it," I said, Chris coming to stand behind us where we all gathered at the sink, gazing. "It wouldn't be hard."