chapter 6

Waking in the morning I stretched my sore muscles and got up from the ground brushing the dust from my clothes. In a little over a day I had become queen of the elves as well as having lost my greatest friend to this cursed Fortis. Emotions started tearing at me but before they could I buried them deep, storing them for when I would meet Fortis. I had no doubt my true form would take place during that battle but for now I must focus on the task at hand. The elves must march in force to the lair of this hybrid but alone they would be struck down. It would take the combined might of all races to bring Fortis to his knees and this is the task I set upon myself. It was time to let myself be known. I am Sicarius, Queen of the elves, and the most powerful hybrid known to all kind. I knew my stature would aid me in the coming quest so I set it upon myself to find clothing more befitting my title. Walking to the Queens old home I walked in and found her wardrobe. Settling for a tight layer of black clothes I threw a black cape with blood red trim over my shoulders and ascended the stairs of the tree house. I walked alone to the meeting place of the elves and walked in grabbing the attention of all in the room. "Who is second in command to the queen here?" A richly garbed elf woman approached me. "I am my lady, it was I who took care of her affairs when she was unable or had too much for one woman." I examined the elf up and down letting her stand tall under my gaze before speaking. "If the queen trusted you then so shall I, if however it becomes clear I made a mistake in trusting anyone in this room then they shall be struck down so quick there will be no final words." I could visibly see how uncomfortable everyone was but I used it to my advantage. "Ok, so I will be rather blunt when I speak and I want no interruptions until the very end, is that clear?" After receiving the affirmative I began. "I will travel to the homes of the dwarves, the vampires, the werewolves, and to the land of the dragons seeking aid in the imminent battle with Fortis. Upon this journey I will need a companion who is fluent in the cultures of all these races and capable of handling themselves with the dignity befitting of those who travel with a queen. Are any of you present aware of such a person?" Once again the elf lady stepped forward. "My lady, if I may presume not to be too bold, but I am such a person." Though I was not expecting her to be the first volunteer I was rather pleased as she seemed to be an agreeable companion. "Are you capable of defending yourself against all those who mean you harm?" Nodding her head she replied with "I am efficient in most all forms of weaponry my lady. And plenty competent to defend myself and you if need be." I smiled at the woman before me. "Well it appears everything to be settled then. You will need clothes befitting a rider as most of our time will be spent upon dragonback as well as enough rations for a fortnight." She bowed her head before rushing out of the room to prepare for our departure. After the door closed behind her I looked around the room at all the surprised faces. "What is so astonishing to all of you?" I demanded of the room. One hesitant elf stood up. "My lady that is Zia, daughter of the late queen." For possibly the first time I was utterly speechless. "I was never informed she had a daughter! Was she to be the next queen?" Silence filled the room until the same hesitant elf spoke up. "The queen did not have a set heir but it was guessed by many that Zia would replace her mother as queen when her training was finished." I nodded my head at the elf. "You are all dismissed, but I expect all the proper preparations for war be made promptly, we never know when we will be called to battle." They all bowed low and left the room in a single file fashion. Sighing heavily I sat in the throne and rubbed my temples. After alerting Niran of the upcoming journey I stood and attempted to prepare for the many trials to come. Examining a map I looked to see that the werewolf homeland was closer to us than any other creature. Mind made up I decided that to be the first place we looked for allies.

Bags lying at my feet I waited in the training clearing for Niran and Zia. I heard soft thumps in the air alerting me of Niran's approach just as Zia came into view. Upon inspection I saw she had a collection of weapons ranging from a bow and arrows to a broadsword to a curved sword that looked wickedly sharp. "I see you do not jest in the ability of knowing many weapons, but only time will tell if you are capable in them." She allowed the smallest of smiles before placing her things on the ground next to mine. For the time being I decided to keep it to myself that I knew Zia's identity, she would tell me in time and if she was to be my travelling companion for the next few fortnights I knew it would be best to have her be a trusting friend. As soon as Niran landed she stroked his muzzle and ran her hands up his neck before gracefully leaping onto his back loading her belongings into the saddlebags. "I see you are as at home on a dragon as I am." Nodding she finished packing at the same time as me and with that done we took off, blasting into the air and beginning the journey that had the chance to decide a major part of the next few centuries.