Chapter Six

As they materialised in front of Malfoy Manor Harry shot Hermione a questioning glance, but she seemed perfectly fine. In fact she turned and grinned at him as they joined the steady trickle of people walking up the front steps into the house.

"I feel like I'm in Pride and Prejudice," she told him and Ron happily. The boys exchanged a clueless look and shrugged simultaneously.

Flaming torches lined the way inside, and house-elves in neat tea-towel uniforms stamped with the Malfoy crest bowed and took Hermione's cloak.

"I hope they're treating them better than they treated Dobby," she hissed, her mood suddenly darkened.

"Oh no, Draco's quite a stickler for the sanctions you helped pass," Harry jumped in, then realised, once again, he was defending his ex a little more vehemently than he should have been.

He lamented sadly, at some point in the last few days, he had been mentally referring to Draco as his ex. It felt like hatchet in his chest, but it was probably best considering he was about to see him parading around with a girl he intended to marry on his arm.

He balked. This was a horrendous idea. He should just leave, now. But Hermione had taken his house-elf comment to heart, and slipped her arm through his and beamed at him.

Ron grunted and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Since when did he become Draco?" he asked them both.

"Because there are several Malfoys," said Hermione casually as they followed the crowd into the ballroom. "And it makes me think of his father. It feels more natural to call him Draco."

"Hm," was all Ron said.

They were soon distracted by champagne bought to them on trays, and vol-au-vents filled with all manner of delightful concoctions. Music from a string quartet filled the air, and Hermione was steering the two men around as she found several people she knew to introduce them to. She didn't seem bothered at all by being back in the Manor. Harry guessed it was maybe because it was the other side of the house where everything had gone down, but also perhaps because the entire place had been renovated and scrubbed clean of Dark Magic. It was part of the conditions of Lucius' release from Azkaban, but he'd heard it from Draco that Narcissa had been fastidious in the act of reclaiming her home back from the Death Eaters that had infested it.

"Luna!" Hermione cried in delight, and they made their way over to where their good friend was being twirled around dreamily by a bohemian looking chap who was regarding her with adoration.

"Hermione!" she beamed, spiralling out of the man's arms to embrace her. "Ronald, Harry." She hugged them with equal affection, and Harry felt himself calm for the first time all day. "I'd like you to meet Rolf, he's my dancing partner."

Rolf grinned. "Amongst other things," he grinned, and gave them all firm handshakes. "Rolf Scamander. Luna's vastly inferior other half."

Harry hadn't realised Luna had a boyfriend, but he had kind eyes that made Harry think she'd found a good one. The gaggle chatted amiably for a while, soon to be joined by Neville and his wife Hannah. Harry drained his champagne flute a little too quickly, and almost immediately found it replaced by an eager house-elf. He did a reasonably good job paying attention to the conversations going on around him, and allowed himself to be distracted by several work colleagues passing by wanting a quick catch up. But his eyes were obsessively scanning the room, looking for that beacon of shining blond hair. Draco's height normally made him pretty easy to spot in a crowd, but even when Harry suddenly did spy him he still wasn't ready.