Chapter 5

Later that day (as in around 9:30 at night), my mother knocks on the door to my bedroom for the millionth time. I've been in here crying ever since we got home.

"What?" I manage to choke out through the sobs.

"Can I come in?"

I sigh but wipe my eyes. "Yeah."

She opens the door, Theo standing behind her, his brown eyes focused on me as soon as the door opens. "You've got a visitor. Door stays open."

"Mom!"

"I'm just kidding! I already had that talk with him," she jerks her thumb back at Theo then leaves the doorway.

I sigh. "I'm so sorry about her."

He laughs and smiles at me, stepping into the room and shutting the door. "Don't worry about it. Pretty funny, actually. You okay?"

Oh my god, for the moment I'd totally forgotten. My mom being totally embarrassing distracted me. But he just reminded me...

"I'm guessing that's a no?"

I sigh. "Do you need something?"

"I wanna show you something."

"Does it need to be right now?"

He sits down on the edge of my bed. "I can tell you're scared. You're scared of the Dread Doctors, you're scared of their success-"

"Actually, fear hasn't crossed my mind since you revived me." True statement. Kinda. "Unless you count being afraid that one of my parents was dead. Turns out, it's my best friend instead."

He sighs, shakes his head, and grabs my hand. "I didn't know they were going to do this. I didn't know they were going to use her. I was informed of who I needed for mine, that's the only time I was aware of what was going on. If I knew, I would've stopped it."

I sigh again. "Why's this matter?"

"I wanna show you something that can calm your fears a little."

"But I'm not afraid."

"Good. I wanna take you to see something that would scare you if you didn't know the truth. Then we've gotta go get everyone else."

"Why?"

"Because we've got plans tonight." He runs his thumb over the back of my hand. 

I sigh yet again, but this time it'sin defeat. "Make it quick, I'm tired. Being dead for a few days doesn't count as sleeping."

He chuckles. "Good information to know-for the future."

I roll my eyes and stand up. "Let's just go."

"You're gonna go without shoes?" he points to my bare feet.

I roll my eyes. "I was getting to that, smart-ass." I walkover to my closet and grab a pair of socks, quickly slipping them on in the doorway of the closet. I reach down to grab my usual converse, but something stops me. The side of the right shoe is all black. No white. And a little bit of silver.

Supernatural blood and mercury.

I drop the sneaker and start backing away from the closet as images of the Dread Doctors killing me fill my brain.

"Echo?" Theo says, alarmed.

I look over at him, and the scene from when I died flashes before my eyes.

Theo looks at the Mercury in his hands then turns to stand behind the Dread Doctors. (**A/N any line in all italics is a memory)

"Echo!" Theo shakes my shoulders, throwing the imagine from my mind.