Chapter One:

To say I was a little excited for this day was an understatement. It was the day I got to leave this dreaded place behind for good. It was also known as the choosing ceremony.

I had taken the test and my results were Dauntless and Erudite. The test administrator was shocked to see that my born faction was not one of the two.

I took a look at myself in the mirror, seeing the photo Tobias and I before everything happened. I was glad he switched out, but I hate that he left me. I couldn't blame him though because if he didn't, I would be and he would be stuck here in this hell hole.

I ran my hands along the grey clothes. God, I'm not going to miss these clothes. I can not wait to be out of skirts and long sweaters. Making sure there were no wrinkles on my clothes. Marcus would be pissed if there were.

I lifted my shirt slightly to see the bruise on my ribs had faded into a yellow and green color. Sighing I fixed my hair into a ponytail and slipped on my grey boots before I heard him call me from downstairs.

"Jodi! Let's go we can't be late!"

I bit my lip so I wouldn't let out a sarcastic remark. I quickened my pace down the stairs and saw him standing by the door.

"You ready for today?" he asked as he opened the door and walked out

"Yes sir." I said nodding my head once

He placed a hand on my shoulder as we walked to the ceremony.

Gripping tightly "you'll be sure to pick Abnegation won't you?"

"Why would I ever want to leave this beautiful place of bruises and torture?" I sarcastically replied. You see, I wasn't always this sarcastic or rude. Truth is, I was once ordinary. Was kind, and I always said my please and thank you's. I was carefree and laughed at anything. It really didn't change until my mother passed away and my dad started to drink. It got worse though once Tobias left.

Before he could reply Jeanine had walked over to us. Thank God. She always knew the right times to appear.

"Marcus, and Jodi. What a pleasure it is to see you." she said with a warm smile towards me. She had always liked me, and I had always liked her.

"Same to you, Jeanine." I said with a warm smile

"I saw your test results, and might I say, you'll fit in perfectly at either." she began "You should be proud of this one."

"Oh I am." His grip tightened and I must have flinched cause Jeanine decided to intervene,

"Go have a seat Jodi. Marcus, it is time for us to begin." She said and I waved as I made my way over to my seat in the front row. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jodi Eaton." Marcus called and I stood up, making my way towards him.

I walked up to him and he handed me the knife. I could see the look in his eye that I saw every time before the beatings.

I took the knife and walked over to the bowls, looking down at my options. Erudite was water, Abnegation was grey stones, Amity had soil, Candor was represented by glass, and at the end was Dauntless with the burning coals.

I sliced my hand and walked down the line, waiting for the blood to drip down my hand.

"DAUNTLESS!" Marcus yelled and it made it official.

The dauntless members cheered as I made my way towards them. I was patted on my back and given high fives. I was sat in the front row and I looked toward the man that called himself my father. I could see the daggers he was sending me through his eyes but I just smirked at him. I knew he couldn't hurt me anymore.