Chapter two ↠

"Why didn't you book the bloody flight!"

"I already told you, I didn't get time!"

Tears threaten to fall down my face, but I blink them away desperately. My heart pounds in my chest so loudly I'm afraid he might be able to hear it. I try to control my breathing the best I can as I toss my half eaten potato around my plate. This was suppose to be Sam's birthday surprise, but I had disappointed him once again. The roast dinner I had prepared was now becoming cold, and an uncomfortable silence filled the air.

I risk taking a quick glance up in his direction, across the table from me. He's looking at me weirdly, with a look of almost concern planted across his face. I wonder if I should smile, but decide otherwise. The last thing I want to do is add fuel to the fire.

"I asked you to do one thing" he takes a deep breath in, trying to control his anger. 

"I'm sorry, I promise I'll do it tonight. I was just so busy today. Can we not ruin the evening?"

I watch as the corners of Sam's lips lift up ever so slightly, in an almost scary way. He was always like this, he was my boyfriend but there was no denying he had a temper.

"I'm sorry baby, we won't let this ruin the night. I just wish you weren't so bloody worthless sometimes"

I try to ignore that comment, but it still hits me hard. It's not like it was the first time he had said something like that, but it still hurt every time. Probably because I knew he was right, I was worthless. I couldn't do a simple task of booking a flight. Especially when it was for us. A special trip to Fiji, just me and him and the sunset. A way for us to reconnect. It was his idea and it was great. I loved him and he loved me and it would be a great time for us to show it.

"So how was your day?" I question cautiously.

He doesn't answer, but instead takes a large gulp of his wine tauntingly, almost like he wanted to drag on the inevitable silence.

"It was alright, I guess." He pauses for a minute, almost like he was thinking about what he was going to say next. "I met this lovely young lady, Georgia. She has the most stunning eyes and a beautiful personality. We went and had coffee, god she's amazing."

He takes another sip of his wine, finishing his glass.

"You want some more?" I ask, handing him the bottle that is now half empty.

"Yeah." He grabs the bottle and pours himself another glass before continuing, "I couldn't help noticing her legs though, when she was sitting next to me. Her dress had ridden up mast her thighs and I could see how smooth and tan they were. Do you even shave?"

That stung. I take a sip of my wine, trying to hold in my frustration. I couldn't let these comments get to me, they didn't even mean anything. He loves me, I know it, so simple comments like these weren't important.

"I guess I should shave more, huh?"

He just laughs in response. But by saying nothing, he's saying everything.

"Are you saying you prefer her legs over mine?" I snap, but immediately know it was a mistake.

"Well maybe if you actually took care of your hygiene for once then I wouldn't have to say things like that! I mean come on have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately? You look like a pig that's just finished bathing itself in mud! I just wish you could realize that I'm trying to help you. How do you expect me to feel when I have to be seen with you in public?"

I feel my cheeks start to burn.

"So you're saying you're embarrassed of me?" I hiss, standing up from my chair. But I'm too slow for him, and he's already up.