scifiwriter

Q: Hello Kelly, thanks for making all the graphics for our brand new SciKick profile. We love them! How are you today?

A: I'm doing great!

Q: Thank you for joining us and sharing a little more about yourself with the Wattpad universe. First off, shall we talk about you and writing? When did you first start writing?

A: I first started writing when I was maybe 7 years old. I made two or three picture books, one of them called "The Girl Who Forgot Her Backpack." At the time I thought I was a genius, and now I find my attempts adorable and funny, especially the artwork.

Q: What are your writer's best practices – doing character profiles, maps, visualization, tai chi, anything?

A: My best practice is making plot diagrams and coming up with fine details to add in chapters. Ideas are so easy to come up with, so I think I'm pretty good at that. I have a running list in my notes of all my ideas for current and future books.

Q: When and in what setting do you write best?

A: I always write the best at home on my laptop. Especially when I curl up with my laptop, I always get focused and immerse myself in writing Enhancement. Occasionally I listen to Taylor Swift when I write, but music usually distracts me. Crazy, I know!

Q: Is there anything in particular you find difficult to write about?

A: Starting a novel or a chapter is always the hardest. You never want to start off on the wrong foot, so finding those perfect words is the biggest challenge.

Q: What piece of advice has been most helpful to you since you started?

A: Honestly, I didn't have any guidance or advice when I joined Wattpad my freshman year of high school. I was on my own, venturing through the site. I believed in myself and knew I was destined to become a prominent writer. It was difficult and disheartening at times, but if I'm doing it, anyone can do it. Believe in your gut feeling. Believe it or not, I had this nagging feeling I could win a Watty, and it ACTUALLY happened. Trust yourself, and the rest will follow.

Q: What do you enjoy more – writing or having written?

A: Writing. The process of forming a story update by update is so fun. I love making a world I enjoy experiencing, even if it's a dystopia. I'm writing exactly what I've always wanted to read, and there's nothing in the world like it.

Q: What genre would you write in, if it wasn't sci-fi?

A: Probably romance. It's the broadest, coolest teen fiction genre available, however I think I'm a sci-fi writer by far. BY FAR!

Q: That's cool! And what about reading? What three genres do you read the most?

A: Science fiction, romance, and fanfiction. I love dystopian novels and adventurous romances set in high school. Plus there are some amazing fanfictions on Wattpad that have some of the most unique plots ever.

Q: Is there anything you can think of that you would love to read, only it hasn't been written yet?

A: A prequel to The Hunger Games about Haymitch's Quarter Quell or any of the Games told from another District's perspective.

Q: What book could not put down under any circumstances?

A: The Hunger Games. I read the whole series in one weekend in seventh grade. I loved it so much, and it's the series that triggered my love for dystopian fic. Currently I'm reading Illuminae by Amie Kauffman and Jay Kristoff. I find it equally as addicting.