1

Never in a million years would I have thought to be here. A high school outcast, the one who smoked weed in the bathrooms and snuck alcohol at lunch. That's just my reputation of course. Inside, I'm as alone as trash, unstable, normally sober, (surprisingly enough to last the morning. Then Sky brings the vodka) and responsible for everyone else's problems.

In hind sight, I was a goody-two-shoes in middle school, sure, I shared my colored pencils and gave everyone the answers to the math problems, but I didn't care about myself. I took terrible care of myself and it's caught up to bite me in the ass. My grades are fantastic, just not my social life, that's the price I paid when I sold my soul to devotion and school projects. I'm not obsessed with boys like the average teen, more like the opposite. I avoid people completely, and nobody cares if I'm talking or not. Except for my happy-go-lucky mom and depressed druggie father. Divorced since I was two, too little to remember such fatal memories. My brother Xavier, a social butterfly who is in 6th grade, is doing better than me. I'm in 11th but why does that matter? Society doesn't care how old you are unless you're single.

No one cares except Sky, my friend, more like acquaintance. He keeps me in check and we work at the same job. A Burger King. He knows when I need a cigarette, or a beer. He understands my feeling on a level no one else understands. We live for pain, fight for safety, and our minds are holding us back.

"Long time no see." Sky's voice blew over my neck. His eyes, green as a viper's back, held a mischievous glare. I knew he wanted to go break laws, smoke, and party all night like every day was for the both of us. I shrugged him off and started walking to fifth period, lunch.
He deemed quite the player, but I knew he wasn't as bad as everyone made him seem. He's bad, don't get me wrong, just not juvie bad.

"So what's up with you? You're pretty depressed, takin' meds?" I shook my head. Silence was my language, the only way I spoke was through vivid gestures and soft speaking. He could translate well enough to be my friend. He said he likes the challenge, but I don't. I forced myself to be quiet, mute even. My parents gone, it's just my aunt Trina left. Even she hates me.

"I heard there was this new guy at school, I don't know his name but, I think he's your type." He winks. I felt like slapping him, maybe even punching him for that. No one is my type nor even close to it.

School was over, I walked home with Sky by my side, he never left me. Even when I'm home, he practically lived with me, he was like the brother I wished I had on a daily basis. My biological one is too busy shoving his head in everyone else's business.

Five minutes. I took my eyes off Xavier for five minutes and my aunt walked in on Xavier on the couch with his friend, and yelled at him. Hitting him with her purse, then her fists. I ran and held her down while I screamed for Sky to call 911.